hen will not get up help

Is she an all white turkey? Some commercial breeds get so large and heavy they can no longer walk over time.

If she is losing weight or skinny, I would worm her with one cc of Safeguard liquid.

If she seems good but uncomfortable, check her for egg binding by feeling between her pelvis to her vent area for a stck egg...

Is she always in the same place? It's possible that she can, but isn't because she is assuming the position for breeding... I have a BBW hen that is always sitting on the ground when I go in there, but she is always on a roost at night. Finally I reached down and rubbed her back and under her wings a bit. When I straightened up, she she stood up and shook herself off before wandering away.

She is all white. Her left knee seems to be swollen. She is basically in the same spot. She will try to move a bit but she is not standing up. She flaps her wings to do so. She has beaten her wings up doing this.

My chicken did it before but I separated her from the rest for about 1 week and she was fine after that.
smile.png

Do you have a Tom that tried breeding her and possibly injured her? One of my tom's tried to breed a hen that had gotten up off of her nest to stretch her legs and he injured her. She has been down for about a week now but she did show progress of standing this weekend. She is still eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom