Hen with a bare belly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Sep 24, 2014.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    One of my girls (less than 1.5 years old) pretty much has zero feathers on her belly. It is just a bare patch underneath her. You have to pick her up to even notice it.
    A few months ago she was broody and hatched some chicks and I know that she went heavy on plucking her chest for that. However, I figured it would have grown back by now? Is it possible there is something else going on? It is starting to get pretty cold now and I am worried...

2. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I would think it's normal for a broody. If I am not mistaken, feathers grow back in phases so it might take a little while longer for her next "phase of growth" to kick in. And since she's laying on her belly when she roosts, I wouldn't worry too much about the cold just yet. Good luck! :)

3. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Awesome, thanks!! At this point I have had chickens for well over a year, but I still keep finding things I didn't know. I am always paranoid my babies have some disease or illness I just haven't heard of yet! Lol. Dogs are so much easier with the whole annual check up thing... :p

4. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    LOL! I know what you mean! I am always learning new things. And I am also a paranoid mommy (but getting better!) These little feather babies sure know how to steal hearts, and I think that's most of my problem! ;)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She should be going through her first big molt any time now, so the feathers will probably grow back in soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by