Hen with a bare belly?

katelk

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
White Bluff, TN
One of my girls (less than 1.5 years old) pretty much has zero feathers on her belly. It is just a bare patch underneath her. You have to pick her up to even notice it.
A few months ago she was broody and hatched some chicks and I know that she went heavy on plucking her chest for that. However, I figured it would have grown back by now? Is it possible there is something else going on? It is starting to get pretty cold now and I am worried...

I would think it's normal for a broody. If I am not mistaken, feathers grow back in phases so it might take a little while longer for her next "phase of growth" to kick in. And since she's laying on her belly when she roosts, I wouldn't worry too much about the cold just yet. Good luck! :)

I would think it's normal for a broody. If I am not mistaken, feathers grow back in phases so it might take a little while longer for her next "phase of growth" to kick in. And since she's laying on her belly when she roosts, I wouldn't worry too much about the cold just yet. Good luck! :)

Awesome, thanks!! At this point I have had chickens for well over a year, but I still keep finding things I didn't know. I am always paranoid my babies have some disease or illness I just haven't heard of yet! Lol. Dogs are so much easier with the whole annual check up thing... :p

LOL! I know what you mean! I am always learning new things. And I am also a paranoid mommy (but getting better!) These little feather babies sure know how to steal hearts, and I think that's most of my problem! ;)

One of my girls (less than 1.5 years old) pretty much has zero feathers on her belly. It is just a bare patch underneath her. You have to pick her up to even notice it.
A few months ago she was broody and hatched some chicks and I know that she went heavy on plucking her chest for that. However, I figured it would have grown back by now? Is it possible there is something else going on? It is starting to get pretty cold now and I am worried...
She should be going through her first big molt any time now, so the feathers will probably grow back in soon.

Back
Top Bottom