Hen with a broken leg

mugga

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Hi, I am new on here, but I need some advice please. I have a hen that got her leg caught this morning and I am pretty sure that it is broken. I have temporarily wrapped the leg to her body. The leg is warm, she is eating and drinking well, she is practicing standing on the good leg, but she is seriously wanting out of the box I have her in. Anyone have any good advice for me? Should I take her out in the yard and keep a good eye on her, so she can still try to interact with the other 2 hens and rooster? Should I unwrap the leg and see how she does? I am at a loss, but she acts like she will adjust...I definitely don't want to wrap the leg wrong and make it worse; there is no open wound.

Thank you all in advance for helpful advice,
Mugga

Welcome to BYC. Is the leg broken in the upper or lower section? I would confine her to a cage withing the coop and run so that she will be forced to rest, but still keep her place in the pecking order. Put her on some vitamins. Low dose aspirin can be give once or twice a day to reduce inflammation and pain. Splinting the leg with a padded finger splint or wrapping in cotton and vet wrap might be something you could do with help. Here are are couple of links on repairing broken bird legs: http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm
http://www.lbah.com/word/fractured-bird-leg/

Last edited:
I believe it is broken in the upper most part of the leg, I am trying to get another person over here to help me, but I am by myself at the moment. Like I said I have temporarily pulled the leg up to her body and wrapped her leg to her body with t-shirt material. Everything I have read so far leads me to believe that I need to splint it in the standing position. She is working very hard at standing on the one good leg; which is good I guess. Thanks again, Mugga

Thank you, I am looking at all of the links to figure out how, and if I should immobilize the leg. Thank you, Mugga

Update on my Bertha, I rewrapped the leg in more of a standing position, it seems more comfortable on her. I took her outside with the other chickens, but did not leave her alone with them. She pecked at the ground a couple of times and then started trying to hobble her way to the coop. I picked her up and carried her to the coop and put her in the nest, and she laid an egg within 5 minutes. She seems to be resting more now, I just hope that she truly is resting and not giving up.

Thank you so much, I saw something similar yesterday and have decided that this is my best option. I am gathering supplies this morning to make Bertha a sling like this, she seems to be doing okay this morning.

Thanks again,
Mugga

Back
Top Bottom