hen with black spots on comb

Quote:
NASTY!! I read the article on pox, those pics look GROSS. Luckily, I did not see any white nodules first. At bedtime this evening I looked close w a flashlight & can see the black areas look like a superficial wound ( fleshy & scabbed). I will apply the iOdine. Thanks!!

I had a chicken that looked just like her, turned out to be scabs. What I heard was that if it's pox, they will all have it. The scabs are a normal part of the pecking order- I did not find it necessary to blu-kote, but the spots my pullet had were smaller.

Good luck and best wishes from Sesame and me.

Last edited:
kinder, looks like a few hens have this in our flock. Small black spots all over their combs. Last Tuesday 2014-09-30 one hen died. My neighbor and chicken coop owner Jack said there were no obvious injuries or reasons. Sophia stood by the food & water at night & didn't roost with the group. The next morning he found her dead. Does fowl pox on the comb turn to the throat pox that is deadly? I appreciate any information & I will continue to search this site as I continue to learn & love our chickens.
With much appreciation and respect,
Sharon

kinder, looks like a few hens have this in our flock. Small black spots all over their combs. Last Tuesday 2014-09-30 one hen died. My neighbor and chicken coop owner Jack said there were no obvious injuries or reasons. Sophia stood by the food & water at night & didn't roost with the group. The next morning he found her dead. Does fowl pox on the comb turn to the throat pox that is deadly? I appreciate any information & I will continue to search this site as I continue to learn & love our chickens.
With much appreciation and respect,
Sharon
If you could post a picture, it would help to tell if is pox or something else. Dry fowl pox is on the outside of the body, usually on the comb, wattles, and face, but can sometimes be on the feet and other parts of the body. The wet pox or diphtheric variety, invades the inside of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and trachea, and can be deadly. They will starve from not eating. Here is some information about pox:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox_in_chickens_and_turkeys.html

About 5 of the 13 chickens have small black spots & a few yellowish ones on their combs. From all that I've read & seen I believe they have "fowl pox", a viral infection, so clean everything with a bleach solution & let it run it's course. Because antibiotics will only help bacterial infections, so it would help w/a secondary condition if one occurs. Is that correct?

Also, does having fowl pox on their comb allow for it to move into their throat? Just trying to figure out possibly why we lost a hen last week.
Here are 3 pictures, you have to zoom in to see the spots.

Hi! All of a sudden 3 of my 4 girls have black spots on their combs and there's no way it could be frostbite-we only recently got out if the 100's here! I'm pretty concerned. I keep their coop and run really clean to avoid annoying my neighbors. The only thing I had changed was adding some garlic powder to their feed. Any ideas what could be causing those spots?

Thanks to everyone for your expertise.
The black spots ran their course on most if not all of the chickens & then disappeared. I tried to keep things as clean as possible. I believe they had "fowl pox".

One month later, November 11, 2014 I"m on today to get help with my chicken "Barbara" (named after I Dream of Jeanie, she's the Rhode Island Red on the right of the above picture) who just started having an issue breathing today. I will start another post.
Thanks to all for your support.
With respect & love,
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom