Hen with bleeding comb

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hello,

So, I went out the check on my hens, and when I picked up the feeder to feed them, I saw this.

20181113_160651.jpg

That's blood. So I immediately looked around at each of my hens. I then noticed that one of my hens, misses broody, has multiple dark red spots on her comb and near her comb on her head. Here are pictures.

20181113_161105.jpg

20181113_161115.jpg

I don't know what happened to cause this, but she is the only one that has these spots on her comb. The other hens are picking on her. Mainly her comb. I plan on separating her immediately.

Is there anything I can do to treat her?

Jared

She probably got in a tussle with another chicken or maybe in wire. Get it clean just mild soap and water. If it’s trying to scab put a little triple antibiotic ointment on it. It it continues to break open you could use cornstarch or a product call quick stop (pet isle). You need to be aware of infection but more importantly other pecking. Once they go after blood they can be vicious.

Hello,

Okay, I just took care of it. I took @MissChick@dee advice and put mild soap and water on it, gently rubbed it, then we put some antibiotic ointment on it. When we were putting the mild soap and water on with a rag, we did confirm it was blood. Some of it went on the rag and we have to wash it now.

It is starting to scab over, and she is behaving fine. She was actually pretty calm when we were putting the water and the ointment on. I bet she was thinking, "Oh, they brought me into the house. Now they're giving me a massage on my comb. I must be special!"

I'm going to keep an eye on her and make sure that the scab doesn't break open again.

Jared

I agree it looks like she may have been pecked or cut the comb on some wire.
Even with minor injuries like this, combs seem to bleed quite a bit.
I would put some BluKote on it and put her back with the others. Watch to see that she not being picked on too much.

Back
Top Bottom