Hen with blood on vent but not prolapsed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mystery2, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Mystery2

Mystery2 New Egg

Aug 31, 2010
    I've been noticing eggs with blood on them for some time but hadn't been able to track the chicken with the trouble until this morning when I cornered her in the nesting box. I brought her in and have her in a dark box with just water, no food. She doesn't appear to be prolapsed, she is young, 7 months tomorrow. The eggs that have had the blood on them aren't huge.
    I haven't washed her off because even in the house it's not very warm and I don't want her to get chilled. And she isn't very bloody, there was just a little bit at the opening of her vent.
    I didn't see any sign of mites, I'll keep an eye on her droppings as she makes some.

What else should I be doing?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

It is not unusual to see some blood on eggs sometimes. Your girl is also a relatively new layer, so it is also not uncommon for new layers to have problems in the first couple months of laying. I'd keep an eye on her, but not worry overmuch about it. Clean the blood off her and let her re-join the flock. I'd be watching her for future prolapses definitely. If she continues to have blood on the eggs I would be a bit concerned. That being said- there is not much that can be done for hens having laying issues. They either sort it out on their own or they succumb to them eventually.

If you are willing or able to spend a lot of money at an avian vet (or if you can even locate one in your area) they might be able to offer some treatments. Treasured pets with laying problems can be given a hysterectomy to save an egg bound/internal laying hen, but most folks can't afford to spend that much on a chicken. I don't think your bird is anywhere near needing to even consider such a radical procedure, anyways. I am pretty sure she just has some kinks in the plumbing that need to be worked out.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by