Hen with bloody stool and shaking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arbonne, Oct 13, 2010.

1. arbonne

arbonne New Egg

Oct 11, 2010
    Hi I have a hen that shivers when she walks and now she has blood in her stool. She only walks and shakes a few steps and then sits for long periods of time while the other hens are pecking around as normal. Any ideas as to how to help her? The Vet is out of the question because of finances. Thanks so much. arbonne

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. ChickensAreSweet

Then, if it is truly blood- how old is your hen?

4. arbonne

arbonne New Egg

Oct 11, 2010
    Thank you sooooo much for responding so quickly. My hen is 6 months old, she is a merron/araconda (spelling?) mix. I am looking into the poo page now. [​IMG] Thanks, arbonne

5. ChickensAreSweet

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. ChickensAreSweet

The classic look for coccidiosis is a young chicken, lethargic, feathers fluffed up, sitting in a corner by herself, won't eat or drink, then dies within a few days. (From my own sad experience and reading on this message board.) Some do survive it, maybe quite a few of the flock, but the intestinal damage stays and may affect their egglaying, general health and weight gain.

I lost one chicken but the rest of the flock survived and they seem fine now (but I treated immediately--that day).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. ChickensAreSweet

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  8. julierupert

julierupert Out Of The Brooder

The poo page ROCKS. So many questioned and concerns were just answered!!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The poo page has a few pictures labeled normal that I think are abnormal.
    Below are normal, I agree. If the majority of a chicken's poop does *not* look like this, there is probably a problem.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

For example, if one sees this all day long, I'd be willing to bet that the chicken has a problem like coccidiosis.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by