Hen with breathing problems.

FriendlyFlyer

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Hello. Last night a raccoon got into my chicken run by digging under the fence and killed two of my black hens (I had 3 total). After securing the fence with electric wire along the bottom of the run, I noticed that my remaining black-sex-linked hen was breathing wierd. Of course my mom says it's a mourning cry and as much as I wish that to b e true, I know it's not. Every single time she breathes she closes her eyes, tilts her head back and opens her mouth wide to breath, making a weezing sound. She does this everytime she takes a breath.
Please help me. What could this be? Did the raccoon scratch her neck? Does she have a disease? I find it wierd because it happened the day after the raccoon attack and she is the only one with the problem. Should I move her to a seperate pen until she heals (IF she heals)? Thank you.

She has an internal injury. I am guessing probably a ruptured air sac or lung puncture/collapse. She is probably not going to make it. Keep her comfortable and quiet, but don't hold out much hope for her surviving this.

I am sorry.

She passed away today.
sad.png
I believe your reasoning to be spot on. Thank you for the support.

I am so sorry for your loss. There was nothing you could have done to save her. Even a vet would have been hard-pressed to fix this particular injury.

Back
Top Bottom