Hen with breathing problems.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FriendlyFlyer, Jun 26, 2012.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chirping

Jul 16, 2011
    Hello. Last night a raccoon got into my chicken run by digging under the fence and killed two of my black hens (I had 3 total). After securing the fence with electric wire along the bottom of the run, I noticed that my remaining black-sex-linked hen was breathing wierd. Of course my mom says it's a mourning cry and as much as I wish that to b e true, I know it's not. Every single time she breathes she closes her eyes, tilts her head back and opens her mouth wide to breath, making a weezing sound. She does this everytime she takes a breath.
    Please help me. What could this be? Did the raccoon scratch her neck? Does she have a disease? I find it wierd because it happened the day after the raccoon attack and she is the only one with the problem. Should I move her to a seperate pen until she heals (IF she heals)? Thank you.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She has an internal injury. I am guessing probably a ruptured air sac or lung puncture/collapse. She is probably not going to make it. Keep her comfortable and quiet, but don't hold out much hope for her surviving this.

I am sorry.

3. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chirping

Jul 16, 2011
    She passed away today. [​IMG] I believe your reasoning to be spot on. Thank you for the support.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am so sorry for your loss. There was nothing you could have done to save her. Even a vet would have been hard-pressed to fix this particular injury.

5. ChinoChix

ChinoChix Chirping

Apr 22, 2012
    Chino Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry :(

6. IngePet

IngePet Hatching

Jun 27, 2012
    OH no, I'm so sorry..... I feel so bad for you! {{{HUGS}}}

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: