Hen with broken leg since a chick What to do

theaggal

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
I got a batch of hens in and one had a broken leg it is bent up towards her chest at the joint. She is now 3 months old and much smaller then the others are but she eats and drinks and seems to get around fairly good. I do notice that some of the others will walk on her like out of spite but some do not even bother her but will sit with her. She sort of leans on that to get around and also use her wings to balance herself. Should I just leave the leg alone or consider having it cut off. Of course I dont want to have her put down because I feel for her and shes actually cute !!! I just need to know what to do , Will she be ok as she gets older ect..Adivse would be much appreciated since I am rather new to problems Thank you

if it were me, and i could afford it, i'd see if a vet would look at her. I have a silky that could barely walk when i got him, not sure what the injury was but i have nursed him along and he is finally started to get around, he hobbles. As for as your little one, can you tell if she is in pain? you might want to remover her from the others, with maybe another chick to keep her company, to protect her from any more injury.

I would cast it in the proper position for 4-6 weeks. Wrap with something soft, tape to a popcicle stick, and tape. Are you sure it's broken or malshaped? Either way, she needs some orthopedic intervention of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom