Hen with bumblefoot! Am I treating correctly?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
One of my hens has a moderate case of bumblefoot. Judging by pictures I've seen it's not as bad as it could be.
I soaked her foot in epsom salts for about 15 minutes (loads of fun - NOT!), padded it with gauze that's been coated in neosporin and wrapped that in more gauze.
Is there anything else I can do? Do I need to get some injectable antibiotics from the co-op? If so, what type?
TIA

Really, that plug needs to come out if you haven't already cut it out. Is the characteristic black scab on the bottom? I dont use injectible or oral antibiotics anymore. Seems to do nothing more than just treating it topically does. If that cheesy plug/core is still in the foot, it wont heal.

What speckledhen said.

When soaking add betadine to water as well (make sure the epsom salts are well dissolved before squirting in the betadine otherwise you'll end up with clumped crud no matter how hot the water).

When you've got the hen's `paw' in the soak, work your fingers over the scab. It will take about ten minutes but the edges of the scab will loosen up and can be peeled off. This makes it easier to remove plug, if any).

gritsar wrote: I soaked her foot in epsom salts for about 15 minutes (loads of fun - NOT!),

Oh, hang in there, even the meanest roo gets used to it (grapes on the table has something to do with it).
roosoak012909b.jpg

Last edited:
k, thanks y'all.
I'll get my DH to help me remove the plug (after soaking) when he's home tomorrow.
Tonight she is one angry hen about the whole treatment. She wanted to sleep in the nestbox and I figured that would give her some relief from putting pressure on the foot, so I let her.
I may be sorry I allowed it if she decides she likes sleeping there better than on a roost. I'm gonna pull a Scarlett and worry about it tomorrow.

I have a hen right now that has bumblefoot. I haven't use any of the pen g yet all i have been using is antibotic cream so far everything is going peachy. Here's a pic of my plug.
29366_imported_photos_00172.jpg

It was no walk in the park either. I used a pillowcase to keep her still. I'm having a problem with keeping it wrapped she is trying to eat it. Anyway good luck and have fun.

I am the queen of bumblefoot. OK, maybe not, but I've spend the better part of the last year dealing with it in several of our roosters. If there is swelling of the foot, or going up the leg, you should consider an injectable antibiotic. With injuries of the foot, there's a good chance of an ecoli infection, so Naxcel is our vet's AB of choice for this. If no swelling, then keep doing what you're doing...soak in a Betadyne and water bath, scrub with a toothbrush and remove any yellow or black tissue. Those metal dental teeth-cleaning instruments the drugstore sells are good for helping to pull out the fibrous, yellow, infected tissue. Then shmooze some Neosporin or other AB ointment into the wound, cover with gauze and wrap the foot. I've found that wrapping gauze around each of the toes, then around the ankle, followed by wrapping with tape, is ideal. If you can, use the flesh-colored, waterproof tape (it looks like foam tape) you can find in the first aid section of the drugstore - it is the bomb. Good Luck! Lynn

Last edited:
I have dealt with bumblefoot at great lengths, spent tons of money and had the same result as doing nothing. One hen died as a result of surgery and one hen's case never got worse being left alone.
I think the next case I have to deal with will be: soak the foot in epsom salts, get the plug out, use neosporin and keep it clean.

Quote:
So far that's what I'm doing, though I haven't been able to get the plug out yet. It really is only a small spot, so perhaps I caught it early. There was less swelling today after a night of wearing a neosporin soaked bandage all night last night.

Back
Top Bottom