Hen with chicks accept new?

Gammond

Songster
Aug 31, 2016
Central BC, Canada
I have a banty hen that hatched out 3 chicks. Last night she accepted one that we snuck behind her (she was fine with it in the morning).

Question is: I got two silkie chicks today that are the same age as the other chicks - 2 days. I put them under her tonight from behind. They've been under for two hours now and the hen has no issues.. If they come out now will the mom accept them? Or is it still too early and it's better in the morning? I'm paranoid so I have her in a kennel and she'll sleep in my room again.

I've no experience in doing this, but since chicks communicate with momma and vice versa it would lead me to think that all is well. Just be there at first light in the morning, so you can observe whats going, would be my advice.

Good luck

I've no experience in doing this, but since chicks communicate with momma and vice versa it would lead me to think that all is well. Just be there at first light in the morning, so you can observe whats going, would be my advice.

Good luck

Thanks!! They've definitely been peeping at her (not scared/loud peeping)... she did a few clucks but that's it. I'm crossing my fingers it will work as the last one we introduced was black but her other ones are yellow (not sure if this makes a difference sometimes?).. but it was a stark colour difference. She stared at it for a while in the morning but then everything was good. These silkies are also black.

Success!!

Attachments

• 20170528_092548.jpg
    20170528_092548.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom