Hen with cracked beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NCchicken, Sep 25, 2011.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    I have a 19 week old pullet who has a cracked beaked right down the center. Just noticed it today. Doesn't seem to bother her. I dont want it to get worse. Should i seal it up with super glue?

2. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    You might want to consider quarantining her from other chickens until it heals. It will keep from extra strain if you can keep her from pecking other chickens.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Pecking other chickens won't hurt it. They can crack from pecking hard surfaces or, more likely, from catching it in something. I have a showgirl rooster who had a split down the front of his and it was forked. I realized he had no hard surface to rub it on. I put a couple cement stepping stones in the pen and after a while I realized it was no longer forked and the split had grown out. I didn't glue it but I guess you could if it moves.
    sharon

4. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    Cement block is a great idea. I have some extra bricks I can put in there. I assume they would work similar to the cement blocks. I guess I didnt realize that their beaks could grow out. I have no idea how long her beak has been this way but she isnt in any pain and is still eating and drinking just fine.

5. FinallyChickens2011

FinallyChickens2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Wichita, KS
    thanks for the input to the question i hadn't even posted yet! our pullet's beak is cracked on her right side, kinda far back. she seems to be ok...

next question:
    we only have 4 pullets, all raised together, so i don't think there's too much danger of her being picked on, do you all? our coop/pen doesn't make for easy quarantining...

6. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    For my pullet and situation i think I am just going to keep an eye on her and see what happens. She is eating and drinking just fine. I will put in some cement blocks that dh can get from work though. I was reading that you should not use superglue on their beaks because its toxic. Instead if I need to I will use new skin. That liquid bandage stuff. Thanks for your suggestions and comments everyone!

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would not separate for a cracked beak. The beak grows like a fingernail.

Quote:

8. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    I have super glued beaks before. You have to be extremely careful not to get glue anywhere else, but done carefully it can prevent a split extending. Depends on the damage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by