Hen with diarrhea

Pics
Do you provide a source of grit?
If the crop is still hard and not moving much, I would only provide wet feed - no corn. You want easy to process foods right now.
I would work on her some more - start with the oil, then massage and go from there.

Yes, I always have grit available. I will not give them corn this week and see if that helps at all. If the problem isn't resolved next weekend, I'll try a liquid diet and oil massage for a few days. It's easier for me to do this on the weekend when I don't work.

@Wyorp Rock Unfortunately, I think my hen is going to pass soon. I went to open the coop this morning and she won't come out. I have her inside in a pet carrier and am trying to make her comfortable. I know that someone (maybe you) said that crop issues are a symptom of something else. Do you happen to know what all causes crop issues?

I think I found the answer to my question (below). I'm guessing I'll never know what caused her blockage. :(

*The Crop has become slow
*The Crop is Sour (Candidiasis/Yeast infection)
***The bird has a bad Coccidiosis infection
***Liver Disease
*There is Canker somewhere in the system
***The Intestines are blocked by Worms (VERY common cause of slow or impacted Crops)
***The bird is Internally Laying or has Reproductive Cancer*** (Both of these are extremely common in hatchery stock and one of the more common reasons a bird turns up with a slow, sour or impacted crop. The crop issue is a symptom of these however seems to be the first symptom.)
*The Crop is Impacted
*The bird has Enteritis and or Coccidiosis (both of these, many times, go hand in hand)
*The Crop has Thread Worms
*The Crop has been injured
*There is an impaction in the Gizzard
*There is an impaction in the Intestinal Tract
*The bird is Egg Bound
*Tumors have grown around the Intestinal tract blocking the exit of waste
*The bird has Waterbelly (Ascites)
*The bird is laying internally
*The bird has some sort of internal infection
*The bird is dying

I think I found the answer to my question (below). I'm guessing I'll never know what caused her blockage. :(

***Liver Disease
***The Intestines are blocked by Worms (VERY common cause of slow or impacted Crops)
***The bird is Internally Laying or has Reproductive Cancer*** (Both of these are extremely common in hatchery stock and one of the more common reasons a bird turns up with a slow, sour or impacted crop. The crop issue is a symptom of these however seems to be the first symptom.)
*The Crop is Impacted
*The bird has Enteritis and or Coccidiosis (both of these, many times, go hand in hand)
*The bird is Egg Bound
*The bird is dying
I'm so sorry she isn't doing well. You are awesome for all that you have done to help her. :hugs

@Wyorp Rock Unfortunately, I think my hen is going to pass soon. I went to open the coop this morning and she won't come out. I have her inside in a pet carrier and am trying to make her comfortable. I know that someone (maybe you) said that crop issues are a symptom of something else. Do you happen to know what all causes crop issues?

***Liver Disease
*The Crop is Impacted
*The bird is Egg Bound
*The bird is dying
I'm sorry that she is not doing well :hugs

The only way you might be able to find the cause would be to have a necropsy performed if you happen to lose her. You can send the body to your state lab or if you feel you can do it yourself then that's something to consider doing. Look in the gizzard, at the internal organs, etc. Sometimes you will be able to see what's going on, take photos and we can try to help you with that.

She is a little over a year old. I feed chick starter and put vitamins and probiotics in water. She is not free range so her diet is consistent. She has always had tummy troubles but lately it seems worse. No other chickens with symptoms. Not wormed. No mites or lice. Could she just have a sensitive stomach?

Sorry for the gross picture but this poop is all hers.
I would suggest to worm her or have a stool tested. Good luck!

Update - I passed the baton on to a friend with chickens. She is going to see what she can do to resolve the issue. The wry neck doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Hopefully my friend has more luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom