Hen with Difficulty Walking

Instead of the warm bath you could position a hot-water bottle filled with not hot but warm water under her, so her belly can relax.

It migh be even better to take her inside your house in a cage with warm bedding, a guest bathroom maybe, to keep her more comfortable and relaxed.
Great idea on the water bottle. I’ll try it. I have a space heater near her (safely set up). Funny I was trying to avoid warming her up too fast as she’s been out in our unheated NY winterized coop…but I’ll make her cozier. And dark too right?

I have calcium tabs. How much?
Usually calcium tablets for humans contain 400-500 mg, which will be fine for her. Just one tablet per day right into her beak.
Sit her on your lap her head facing front. Grab her wattles and pull down a bit so she will open her beak and you can pop the tablet right in. Let go of her wattles so she can swallow.

Usually calcium tablets for humans contain 400-500 mg, which will be fine for her. Just one tablet per day right into her beak.
Sit her on your lap her head facing front. Grab her wattles and pull down a bit so she will open her beak and you can pop the tablet right in. Let go of her wattles so she can swallow.
This is awesome practical advice - thank you! Does it matter if extended release? I thought I read somewhere not to give that. I also have TUMS

Extended release is not what we want.
How much calcium does a TUM contain? If it is 500, then give her TUM.
Gave her Tums, have a cozier warmer nest set up with a nice dark drape to keep her cozy. I’ll post an update. Thanks so much for your thoughts and help.

If she is egg bound would the difficulty walking progress like it has? Really seems like she’s having difficulty moving either leg now. So afraid of Marek’s.

Gave her Tums, have a cozier warmer nest set up with a nice dark drape to keep her cozy. I’ll post an update. Thanks so much for your thoughts and help.

If she is egg bound would the difficulty walking progress like it has? Really seems like she’s having difficulty moving either leg now. So afraid of Marek’s.
Did you feel her pelvis bones? It could be an indicator whether her condition might be caused by an impending egg or not.

Severe egg-binding can lead to lameness of both legs, but as soon as the egg gets out, the nerves will be released of the pressure and should get better withing hours or a few days max., depending on how long they were pressurized and the size of the egg.

You said that she was vaccinated, so let's hope it is not Marek's. Although the vaccination is a leaky one.

Did you feel her pelvis bones? It could be an indicator whether her condition might be caused by an impending egg or not.

Severe egg-binding can lead to lameness of both legs, but as soon as the egg gets out, the nerves will be released of the pressure and should get better withing hours or a few days max., depending on how long they were pressurized and the size of the egg.

You said that she was vaccinated, so let's hope it is not Marek's. Although the vaccination is a leaky one.
I think they are wide but I wasn’t certain. I’m going to let her rest and I’ll check again in the morning. Really appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom