Hen with Difficulty Walking

Update: no egg overnight. Also no BM. She shifted off the water bottle a bit. Actually seems a little better and more steady this morning with movement - but her right toes are curled now. Left toes normal. I’m going to continue B supplements and Calcium/warming and massaging her abdomen to treat both possibilities (B deficiency and egg bound). Really hoping we can get to the vet and they’ll be able to help.

Pepper is also still eating. Not so interested in drinking but I keep switching out her bowl so I’m offering with a syringe and she’ll take that. Bright eyes and very alert.

Update: no egg overnight. Also no BM. She shifted off the water bottle a bit. Actually seems a little better and more steady this morning with movement - but her right toes are curled now. Left toes normal. I’m going to continue B supplements and Calcium/warming and massaging her abdomen to treat both possibilities (B deficiency and egg bound). Really hoping we can get to the vet and they’ll be able to help.

Pepper is also still eating. Not so interested in drinking but I keep switching out her bowl so I’m offering with a syringe and she’ll take that. Bright eyes and very alert.
Another TUMS would be in order too.

You could wet her feed making a mash and feed some scrambled eggs with grated carrot and apple too to up the fluid intake.

When did you last deworm your chickens? Worms can lead to nutrients and vitamin deficiencies causing symptoms similar to Marek's or Avian Leukosis.

Another thougt: What kind of vitamin b are you supplementing? Make sure it contains riboflavin also.
Yes I’m using a full complex that has riboflavin too. It’s a human vitamin. Doses seem ok based on what I’ve read.

Just now she had a larger poop with a white cap. Soft not watery. But also some possible blood?! We lost one chick early on to textbook coccidiomycosis and I have given this flock multiple rounds of Corid. They were raised on medicated feed but I long since switched that out. Could coccidiomycosis cause lameness? I found that as a possibility in one book. What speaks against that is otherwise she looks so good. Head up, eyes bright, vocalizing, tail up…

I’ve never dewormed this flock. We are new chicken keepers (clearly!) and I was planning on the spring. I do have dewormer in my care kit.

Thanks for the attention! I’ll try and post an updated video of her moving today.

Deworming started. So more possible blood in her poop this afternoon. I’ve attached a pic and a pic of how she’s moving (now with her wing).

Attachments

• E3B42D8E-CDF5-40AA-959C-EB4C53DCA270.jpeg
    E3B42D8E-CDF5-40AA-959C-EB4C53DCA270.jpeg
    429 KB · Views: 6
  • 316ECA3A-2841-4554-8CB8-D206BB5CF2D0.jpeg
    316ECA3A-2841-4554-8CB8-D206BB5CF2D0.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 6
What can be seen in the poop picture seems to be intestinal lining, not blood.The picture is quite blurry.

How are things today?
Glad to hear you think more intestinal lining. No egg. She’s still with us. Moving much less. Enjoying a breakfast of egg, apple, carrots, B complex, dewormer and Calcium. :) I feel like her right foot is a little less curled? But she’s not really moving off her cozy nest.

Attachments

• E173DE41-A679-4865-A2F1-04574EFA85E2.jpeg
    E173DE41-A679-4865-A2F1-04574EFA85E2.jpeg
    965.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom