Hen with Difficulty Walking

Thanks so much for checking in! Unfortunately she's not better and has now developed some respiratory problems (breathing with an open beak, straining to get a breath in). Her right leg is now cold to the touch (makes me think may be it was injured after all?) but she did get to the point of unclenching her toes and she maintained some movement of the left leg. Eating but much less, has her eyes closed most of the time. She enjoyed a great weekend in the house with us in a sling (my girls called her our "box chicken"), but I'm afraid we need to end her suffering in the next day or so. :( I'll be pursuing necroscopy as I really fear Marek's (of course).

Thanks so much for checking in! Unfortunately she's not better and has now developed some respiratory problems (breathing with an open beak, straining to get a breath in). Her right leg is now cold to the touch (makes me think may be it was injured after all?) but she did get to the point of unclenching her toes and she maintained some movement of the left leg. Eating but much less, has her eyes closed most of the time. She enjoyed a great weekend in the house with us in a sling (my girls called her our "box chicken"), but I'm afraid we need to end her suffering in the next day or so. :( I'll be pursuing necroscopy as I really fear Marek's (of course).
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. I am sorry she is getting worse.

Your girls are knowing and ready that Pepper is suffering and will need to be put out of her misery?

Yes one of the things I’m grateful for with these chickens is how it gives us an opportunity to talk about life and death in a very real way with kids. We talked a lot about how she likely wouldn’t make it but that didn’t mean that as long as she wasn’t suffering we could love on her while she was still with us. Tough convo for kids but such a great way to learn these hard lessons in life. Thanks for thinking of all the angles - really grateful for this forum!

I'm so sorry. It's crazy how we get so attached. Who would've thought? My daughter is 10 and we've had chickens for a few years now. We've suffered some losses and my daughter has learned so much. I think the hardest part for me as a Christian was answering my daughter when she asks, "I prayed and God didn't answer. Why would he do this?" and things like that. Since we're unable to help with beautiful Pepper, I wanted to just share that just in case. If you're not Christian, please overlook me. I love that daughter still likes to talk about the birds we've lost and I try to welcome it. They certainly leave little peck marks on our hearts. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that you did everything possible to help her 💜 I'm so sorry.

So sorry about your sweet hen, and after reading through the whole thread, I would be suspicious of Mareks disease as well. @LaFleche has helped you so much.You have done all of the things I would have suggested, and I would talk with your state vet office to find out about how to get the necropsy and testing. Most state labs are only available M-F, and the costs can vary if you ship the body or take it in person. If you end up euthanizing, then I would time it when the lab is open. Shipping is done usually with a prepaid label from the lab, for overnight Fedex or UPS. Cornell is who I believe you would be dealing with. I wish that she would have gotten better, and you have treated her so well. This link has your poultry diagnostic lab in NY and more info on keeping the body cool:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

So sorry about your sweet hen, and after reading through the whole thread, I would be suspicious of Mareks disease as well. @LaFleche has helped you so much.You have done all of the things I would have suggested, and I would talk with your state vet office to find out about how to get the necropsy and testing. Most state labs are only available M-F, and the costs can vary if you ship the body or take it in person. If you end up euthanizing, then I would time it when the lab is open. Shipping is done usually with a prepaid label from the lab, for overnight Fedex or UPS. Cornell is who I believe you would be dealing with. I wish that she would have gotten better, and you have treated her so well. This link has your poultry diagnostic lab in NY and more info on keeping the body cool:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thanks so much. I agree I’ve gotten great help along the way on this one! And learned a lot yet again. Yes Cornell is the place - we’re lucky to have a great Ag program in our state. And the vet may help me get her there which would be amazing. I’ll make sure to post the results as I know how helpful it can be to know the end of the story.

I'm so sorry. It's crazy how we get so attached. Who would've thought? My daughter is 10 and we've had chickens for a few years now. We've suffered some losses and my daughter has learned so much. I think the hardest part for me as a Christian was answering my daughter when she asks, "I prayed and God didn't answer. Why would he do this?" and things like that. Since we're unable to help with beautiful Pepper, I wanted to just share that just in case. If you're not Christian, please overlook me. I love that daughter still likes to talk about the birds we've lost and I try to welcome it. They certainly leave little peck marks on our hearts. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that you did everything possible to help her 💜 I'm so sorry.
Thank you ☺️ It is amazing how attached we get to these little creatures. I had no idea when we adopted a few about 18 months ago! We’ve had our share of losses but also such joyous moments. Appreciate your sharing and support.

The preliminary pathology report is in. @LaFleche Still awaiting the histopathology which may tell us more but this seems reassuring that it was not obviosuly Mareks:

Gross examination reveals features suggestive of localized polyphasic myopathy affecting the pectoral muscles, and there is a striking necrotic focus that may represent infarction. The lesion distribution and skeletal muscle pallor somewhat resemble 'wooden breast,' which is a myodegenerative condition of unknown etiology that has been described in young broilers and is histologically characterized by lymphocytic phlebitis in the pectoralis major muscle. Additional differential diagnoses for this myopathy include ischemic damage and/or neurogenic atrophy due to prolonged recumbency, a nutritional imbalance (e.g., selenium or vitamin E deficiency), and ionophore toxicosis.
No overt gross changes to account for this bird’s clinical signs of lameness and dyspnea are observed. The sciatic nerves, air sacs, and lungs are grossly unremarkable.
Histopathology is pending and results will follow in the final report.

The preliminary pathology report is in. @LaFleche Still awaiting the histopathology which may tell us more but this seems reassuring that it was not obviosuly Mareks:
Thank you for sharing this. I imagine @Eggcessive will be interested as well as some others that I believe are sometimes interested in learning/reading necropsy findings @azygous @Wyorp Rock @casportpony @aart
(my apologies if I am mistaken)

What a coincidence that this post was on my mind today @Megger2 I'm so sorry for your loss 💔 I hope you and your family are finding comfort in the care you provided and the love shared with your beautiful bird 💞

Thank you for sharing this. I imagine @Eggcessive will be interested as well as some others that I believe are sometimes interested in learning/reading necropsy findings @azygous @Wyorp Rock @casportpony @aart
(my apologies if I am mistaken)

What a coincidence that this post was on my mind today @Megger2 I'm so sorry for your loss 💔 I hope you and your family are finding comfort in the care you provided and the love shared with your beautiful bird 💞
Thank you for this! The support here is so great.

Back
Top Bottom