Hen with dislocated jaw

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lady Dre, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Lady Dre

Lady Dre Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    I was letting my chickens out of their coop this morning and one of my hens decided to take a nose dive right in the dirt. She has dislocated her bottom jaw. She is no worse or wear, other then having a crooked face. I was hoping someone could suggest anything that I can do for her myself. Or will she by chance pop it back into place herself? I am going to leave her be for right now cause she doesn't appear to be in any pain. If I don't get any feedback I will just take her to the vet.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. susanp970

susanp970 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    I think my hen did the same thing, her mouth kind of hangs open, and her lower beak is just slightly to the left, evidently she's been getting something to eat. I've seen her drink but she just pecks at the food unable to pick anything up. She has been this way for a couple of weeks now and seems to be getting along just fine.

4. amber mist

amber mist New Egg

Jun 14, 2017
    I have experienced this exact same thing. My chicken flew out of the coop and crash landed. Her beak is now crossed. I truly believe it is dislocated. Has anyone ever successfully corrected this? If yes, please explain. TYIA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by