Hen with Large Hard Abdominal Lump

Chicklet Acres

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2018
Six year old Speckeled Sussex hen with very large hard lump on the lower left side of her abdomen, just below rib cage, enlongated shape and smooth, I assume it's an internal organ that has swelled. She has some swelling to her abdomen under her vent but it's not squishy like water belly and I did attempt several times to drain but didnt get anything at all out. First symptom I noticed a few weeks ago was that her breathing was faster than normal but since she looked alert and otherwise fine I didnt think to do a physical check of her. I assume the swelling has been going on for awhile and that's causing pressure making it harder for her to breathe. Her color is good and she is bright and alert but her appetite is low and she's not as active. . She was the dominant hen so her behavior is definitely different. She was pooping some clear fluid but I have seen her poop small amounts of soft green poop. I did try seperating her from the flock in hopes of monitoring poop and encouraging her to eat but she eats less when alone. I have given her Poultry Cell and that perks up her appetite but I think the swelling is increasing. The other hens are fine, they share an outdoor run with three ducks which are also feeling fine. I have a one year old hen in a seperate pen presenting with water belly but I believe it is completely unrelated, she has no internal swelling and has responded well to draining.
Looking for ideas on what might be going on and if there are any treatment options. Not entirely opposed to a vet trip but it will take some time to arrange an appointment and if the likely outcome is that nothing can be done then I would prefer to just make her comfortable at home.

Attachments

• IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    641.9 KB · Views: 31

Back
Top Bottom