1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with maggots in wound!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MinnesotaChick, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MinnesotaChick

MinnesotaChick New Egg

Jul 23, 2007
    I have a hen that had a little "poopy butt" recently...didn't think much of it...Today I went out and her whole back end was wet and black and crawling!!! I hosed it off and found a large wound just below her vent about three inches round. It was soooo gross, full of maggots that did not want to come off. I think I got them all, but is there anything I can treat it with that will insure all the maggots are killed? I have washed and washed the wound and covered it with a lot of antibiotic ointment. Any other suggestions? She is now in a horse stall that is fly free(she normally free ranges and goes in the coop at night). Thanks for any info.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Not really...if it's an open area you don't want to use anything harse on her.
    The antibiotic ointment will help to heal it up.
    Good luck with her.

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Smother the wound with an AB cream. If will suffocate any maggots left in the wound. Really smother it...ALOT! NOrmally, you allow wounds to drain but not in this case. Clean it daily like you did today and I would consider keeping her inside until it heals....

4. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Why does this seem to be coming up so often? Is this common in the summer time with the heat?

I am asking because this is my first year with chickens.

Hope everything heals!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by