Hen with one eye swollen shut

sarah4hchickens

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
Any help is appreciated!
I went outside to see my chickens today, and I noticed my 3 year old bantam wyandotte was hunched over and one of her eyes is swollen shut. The other is partially shut but she can still see out of it. She is pretty much not moving, but is moving her head in a consistent line pattern. She is extremely easy to pick up, and she usually is not. None of my other birds have had any health problems. She is currently inside and is being fed and watered with a syringe every hour, but that isn’t working very well. Does anyone have experience with this or and idea how I can help her?!

Attachments

• CB780174-A158-4E46-9CBF-00B1E893B9E6.jpeg
    CB780174-A158-4E46-9CBF-00B1E893B9E6.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 20
One of my chickens had an eye closed up after she hopped the fence and the neighbors dog got a hold of her. She eventually rebounded in her own and the eye opened up.
Not sure if you chicken experienced a trauma like that or not.

Did you add sugar to the water? If not try that.

I just experienced something similar. Many people suggested Coryza which is a virus or some other upper respiratory issues. My girl was bad for a couple of days.

I used vetericyn spray and gel. They are basically the same and I also used a warm compress on her eye. My girl had swelling which looks like she was pecked at because there are scabs. Yours looks different than my little one. Good luck

https://vetericyn.com/eye-ear-care/

Also, does she have discharge or an odor coming from her nasal passage. That is also an indication of respiratory. It was also suggested to rinse her eye with saline.

You can add oregano, parsley and basil to their water. Basil is an antibacterial a good for mucus membrane health. Garlic is an anifungal and it benefits the circulatory system. Oregano combats coccidia salmonella infectious bronchitis avian flu black head and ecoli it also strengths the immune system. Parsley is high in vitamins aids in blood vessel development and it's an egg laying stimulant. You can plant these around your run and the chickens will eat them. If they don't eat the seeds 1st. I just plant some in a bucket and keep it around for when my chickens show any signs of illness. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom