Hen with sour crop! How do I help her?

When you are putting her back on the roost are you pressing the crop?

Check the crop First Thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. This is the very best way to gauge crop function.
If you are just checking the crop during the day, then you are likely going to feel food/water in there due to her eating/drinking.

How old is she?
Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed?

When you are putting her back on the roost are you pressing the crop?

Check the crop First Thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. This is the very best way to gauge crop function.
If you are just checking the crop during the day, then you are likely going to feel food/water in there due to her eating/drinking.

How old is she?
Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed?
My chickens usually enter their croop and roost at 6:00 -7:00. I'm not at the other house first thing in the morning but my father is so I'll ask him to feel her crop. I'm not sure about her age because I got my hen from my dad's friend but I'd say estimate about 4-5 years old. I live in Florida.

My chickens usually enter their croop and roost at 6:00 -7:00. I'm not at the other house first thing in the morning but my father is so I'll ask him to feel her crop. I'm not sure about her age because I got my hen from my dad's friend but I'd say estimate about 4-5 years old. I live in Florida.
Oh good. Have your Dad check her out then. That's really the only way to see if there is an issue or not. You may have nothing to worry about at all.
Let us know what he finds in the morning.

Chickens don't have a gag reflex, so if you were pressing on the crop when lifting her, then liquids/feed could have voluntarily spilled out.

Oh good. Have your Dad check her out then. That's really the only way to see if there is an issue or not. You may have nothing to worry about at all.

Chickens don't have a gag reflex, so if you were pressing on the crop when lifting her, then liquids/feed could have voluntarily spilled out.
I agree, with no smell, it may have been nothing at all. However, Monistat is great for emergencies.

I'll definitely remind him to check in the morning and update you on how it feels.

Back
Top Bottom