Hen with sour crop! How do I help her?

Harun

Songster
Apr 10, 2021
I was hanging out with one of my hens, wayching TV, but it was time to put her inside. I put her back on the perch, and right as I did, some liquid came out of her beak. I was worried but refrained from panicking. However, the next day my mother informed me that it had happened again. I was told that her mucus was brownish. My mom felt the hen's crop, and she told me it felt squishy and bubbly just like sour crop. That got me concerned, so now I've come here. What's the best course of action to help my hen through this? I've seen some videos in people holding their hen, facing her downward, and massaging her crop for about 15 seconds before bringing her back to her normal position, encouraging the fluids in her crop to expel. I'm kind of scared to perform this action, so I was wondering if there are any alternatives.

I was hanging out with one of my hens, wayching TV, but it was time to put her inside. I put her back on the perch, and right as I did, some liquid came out of her beak. I was worried but refrained from panicking. However, the next day my mother informed me that it had happened again. I was told that her mucus was brownish. My mom felt the hen's crop, and she told me it felt squishy and bubbly just like sour crop. That got me concerned, so now I've come here. What's the best course of action to help my hen through this? I've seen some videos in people holding their hen, facing her downward, and massaging her crop for about 15 seconds before bringing her back to her normal position, encouraging the fluids in her crop to expel. I'm kind of scared to perform this action, so I was wondering if there are any alternatives.
I dont recommend making her "vomit"
How does she smell (from her beak)? Check her crop in the morning to see if it empties. Update here as you go.

How does she smell (from her beak)? Check her crop in the morning to see if it empties. Update here as you go.
You got it. It's currently nighttime where I live, but I'll update you tomorrow.

I'm going to visit my other house to check on my chickens. First thing I'm going to do is smell her breath. If it snells disgusting, well I guess it'd confirm if she has sour crop. But what could she have if her breath doesn't smell bad? (This is unlikely, but I'm just curious.)

Update: Breath smells normal. I don't know what to do.

It's soft but not completely empty. It's 9:30 PM where I live. She's acting bornal, so maybe it took its course already. Not sure. I'll see tomorrow.
Did you still feed her? For sour crop, feed normal chicken feed, but soften it with water so its easier to digest. For my flock, when a hen got sour crop, I fed the entire flock feed with water. You may also want to keep some Monistat 7 day treatment on hand.

Did you still feed her? For sour crop, feed normal chicken feed, but soften it with water so its easier to digest. For my flock, when a hen got sour crop, I fed the entire flock feed with water. You may also want to keep some Monistat 7 day treatment on hand.
I'll keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom