Hen With Sour Crop, How do I treat this, and with what? Please help.

BooeyBird

Chirping
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Missouri
My 10 month old hen has sour crop (I am 90% sure it's sour crop). She hasn't been eating or drinking very much, her crop feels squishy, and it is hard for her to stand and walk. How should I treat this, and with what? She means the world to me, and I want her to get better asap. Suggestions on treatment? Thanks.
hu.gif

Well are you sure it's not coccidiosis? Does she have yucky poo or her feathers ruffled up? I had a young hen get like yours but didn't have the poo like they say cocci gives them and she died because I treated her wrong:( So when another young hen acted the same, I treated my whole flock for cocci and she recovered!

Last edited:
Can you give me a link for that? I woke up this morning and she had already passed. I am devastated and would really like to know what caused this. And yes, she does have the symptoms you described.

I am sorry you lost her.
hugs.gif

Here is an excellent post for Coccidiosis https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

I have it bookmarked so I can find the dosing easily. You may need to check out your other hens and get them treated too. You can find the meds in a Farm/feed/ranch store they should have it where you pick up your feed. I'd ask a clerk when you get there for one of the meds listed.

Some other things to have on hand is wormer, a tube feeding kit, electrolytes, probiotics, vitamins, calcium tablets or tums, exam gloves, honey for use just with chickens, Sevin dust for mites/lice vet wrap - usually in the aisle for horses. A whole long list of should have on hands....

I have some of those supplies, but I didn't get all of them because we only had a tiny flock of 3. Well, now 2.. The only problems we've had before with them is frostbite, and bumblefoot (Both treated and healed, frostbite with the lost of one toe). I will make sure to treat them for cocci, I don't want this to happen again (even if it turns out not to be cocci).

If you know someone else that is close that also has chickens see if they will go in on getting meds to have on hand, some of those bottles are large and can last awhile even with 12 birds. That way you both have access to the things you need and don't have to pay so much for everything. I like to keep things on hand as it takes an hour or more round trip to just go to town and emergencies never happen when anything is open, know what I mean?
rant.gif

If you know someone else that is close that also has chickens see if they will go in on getting meds to have on hand, some of those bottles are large and can last awhile even with 12 birds. That way you both have access to the things you need and don't have to pay so much for everything. I like to keep things on hand as it takes an hour or more round trip to just go to town and emergencies never happen when anything is open, know what I mean? :rant   

Ditto!

I am so sorry for your loss :( I went and bought Corid after I lost my first hen. Along with safeguard wormer for goats because I heard its a good wormer, so I now worm everything twice a yr. I'm learning tons of stuff these past couple yrs and BYC has really helped me.

Back
Top Bottom