Hen with spurs??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ForkCity, Feb 13, 2009.

1. ForkCity

ForkCity Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    In addition to my rooster (my avatar) I have a light brown hen that I can't tell the breed. She's very light brown-- almost looking an orange-brown in the sun. She is built smaller than my leghorns and she has spurs!! Also very docile, if that helps any.

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a hen with spurs....my cuckoo marans hen. She is 2 or 3...I think and last year she just started to grow spurs!

3. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    game hens have spursz

4. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    I have owned several hens with spurs... they never try to use them like roos... almost like they don't know they have them... weird!

5. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    pics!! pics! pics!

6. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Most of my polish hens over 2 years old have spurs. My 4 year old hen's spurs are almost as large as the ones on the rooster.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When I was a kid we had game hens with nice sized spurs... and they knew how to use them just like the roos.

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Alot of my hatchary chickens have spurs. I like this, knowing that they now have more protection. It's a proven aquired gene, too. I bred my Sultan roo to my spurred Polish hen and the offspring, a pullet, is starting to grow spurs! [​IMG] She started growing them quite early, too!

The spurs are LARGE! I'm talking almost an inch, which is very noticeable.

9. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a Dominique hen with spurs. In fact, her name is "Spur". She's an awesome layer!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by