Hen with swelling on head, looking for advice please

Jverlinden

Chirping
Oct 27, 2019
Winchendon MA
Hi, I could use some advice. One of my BLRW hens has a swelling on the back of her head. I think it may be infected. I have applied a warm wet towel but don’t see anything loosening up. I was wondering whether to leave alone or try to open it up. It’s been there at least a week and I applied blue kote when I first saw it. Regardless I’ll put blue kote on again before I put her back in the coop. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 3
It looks like she has been pecked and feather picked on the back of her neck and head. Perhaps the swelling is from that trauma. Do you have a rooster who is grabbing her neck while mating (that can be normal behavior?) Or is there a hen who is picking on her? I would probably leave her with the flock, but separated in a wire dog crate with her own food and water for a few days to heal. Vetericyn or similar wound spray, and plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be applied to her head and neck.

Yes they are all only 8 mo old and I think the rooster is still figuring things out. I have seen him grab them there. Thank you I will do as you suggest. I have Veterycin and I will get her set up in a cage in the coop.

Thank you. If it doesn’t go down in a couple of days of separation I’ll see if I can get any infection out. It is squishy but I can’t see anything yet I could open up.
Sounds good. Once you cut an area of the bulge, you'll have to squeeze the infection out, since bird puss is cheese like.

Back
Top Bottom