Hen with Swollen Belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NHChickengirl, Jan 22, 2015.

1. NHChickengirl

NHChickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    [​IMG]

2. NHChickengirl

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    She almost 2 years old and just started with a swollen belly. What can I do for her?

3. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Ooh, that does not look good at all. I would be sure she is not egg bound. Is she defecating and laying eggs?

4. NHChickengirl

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    I am not sure. I brought her inside and right now she is sitting in the tub in warm water. She is actually letter me hold her against the tub almost like I am hugging her.[​IMG]

5. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Let her get nice and relaxed. I've got one hen who gets egg bound now and then and about 20 minutes in the bath then gently dry her and keep her in a warm, quiet room in a closed cardboard box with nesting material. It has always helped her.
    However I have had another hen die from being egg bound as infection set in.
    Hope your girl gets well.

6. NHChickengirl

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    Thanks Holly that is what we plan on doing.. Her comb is still bright and not saggy so I am taking that as a positive sign

7. NHChickengirl

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    If she is egg bound is that what her belly would look like?

8. hollys chooks

She looks a bit red, which I have only noticed on my hen with peritonitis. But if she has been sitting on her belly it could get a bit red too.

9. NHChickengirl

Jul 8, 2013
    Merrimack , NH
    What treatment would be for that? She is now walking around the tub and did a nice normal poop..

10. hollys chooks

If she has peritonitis - a serious infection that would need treating by a vet - then she will look unwell, she won't move much and won't eat much, she'll be in pain. (which are similar symptoms to egg bound)
    The normal looking poop is a good sign, my hen with peritonitis did very watery poops, no normal ones. Bright comb is also a good sign. How is her general behaviour?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by