Hen with Swollen Belly

So it has been a week since we brought Kera into the house and her belly is still swollen. She is eating and drinking a ton and is bright eyed and her comb is still normal. I did speak to a woman from the state co op who knows chickens and she said it was a toss up wether she would heal or die. Possibly a reproductive issue or a tumor. To many choices most of which won't heal. If she didn't have a huge belly, which is making it hard for her to walk, she would look normal.. Anyone every have a hen get better from something like this?

It looks like your hen has water belly. It is usually caused by acsites. You can help your chicken by draining the fluid in her belly. The fluid build up is slowly crushing her organs,painful,makes breathing difficult. Draining her will prolong her life more comfortably but she will likely not be productive. Read up on acsites, water belly and how to tap a hen. Good luck to you and the hen.

That's probably what she does have but I can't find anyplace that sells the syringe to drain her without a proscription.. And I don't know any drug addicts who could give me one.
1f622.png

That's probably what she does have but I can't find anyplace that sells the syringe to drain her without a proscription.. And I don't know any drug addicts who could give me one.
1f622.png

The syringes and needles can be found at Tractor Supply, Family Farm&Home, probably your local farm store or online. Look up livestock supplies on line, you'll find what you need.
smile.png

ETA: http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...ResultsPage=true&storeId=10151&pageView=image
TSC>livestock health>page 4 18gx1" 6pack needles 2.59, 60ml syringe 4.99

Last edited:
Well here's an update.. I couldn't bring myself to kill her. We went on a much needed vacation and when we came back her belly was no longer swollen.. I am not sure
What happened while we were gone but now I am trying to aclimate her to cold so she can
Go back into the coop and be out of My basement. Weird for sure.. Everyone I spoke to said she would die and she didn't..

Kara is all better some how.. She had a big molt and lost most of her feather. I thought she was a goner at that point . Now she has all beautiful feathers and is screaming to go outside.. I have to get her acclimated to the cold before I can put her back into the coop.. Welcome back Kera

Glad to hear she is better! Sometimes the hen is able to reabsorb fluids back into her body. Still, it would be not a bad idea to get the supplies I mentioned and always keep an eye on her.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom