Hen with Swollen Belly

So I did the egg check and I did not feel anything but softness up her butt. So I think it is not a stuck egg.. I just soaked her again in warm water and she was walking all around the tub. She is checking out her new crate and just took a couple nice bites of a biscuit I bribed her with. Actually go crazy pecking at it now.

Kera is eating and drinking and was talking to me this morning. Still has the red belly though..

I am thinking second photo looks healthier. The first one focus isn't so good, but in second can see that skin isn't over stretched, the colour looks less angry. Is she less swollen? Looks less so to me but can't tell if that is just the way she is standing.

Not sure if it's less swollen but I think so. She doesn't look like she is going to burst like she did in the first picture. Still gonna baby her and keep her inside.

So it has been a week since we brought Kera into the house and her belly is still swollen. She is eating and drinking a ton and is bright eyed and her comb is still normal. I did speak to a woman from the state co op who knows chickens and she said it was a toss up wether she would heal or die. Possibly a reproductive issue or a tumor. To many choices most of which won't heal. If she didn't have a huge belly, which is making it hard for her to walk, she would look normal.. Anyone every have a hen get better from something like this?

So it has been a week since we brought Kera into the house and her belly is still swollen. She is eating and drinking a ton and is bright eyed and her comb is still normal. I did speak to a woman from the state co op who knows chickens and she said it was a toss up wether she would heal or die. Possibly a reproductive issue or a tumor. To many choices most of which won't heal. If she didn't have a huge belly, which is making it hard for her to walk, she would look normal.. Anyone every have a hen get better from something like this?

In a word: No. There are many things that can cause this and none of them are good. Is there any way you can get her to an avian vet? If you don't want to cull her then it would be better for her if you could at least find out what is going on so you could know what is the best thing to do for her. Chickens hide their suffering extremely well and whatever is going on in there certainly cannot be comfortable for her. Some of these things can cause a slow, prolonged death, chickens really are tough. Better to either find out if this is treatable and if not, have her put down.

Back
Top Bottom