Hen with swollen chest/crop ...What to do?

cnj-tx50

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
North of Dallas, TX
I have a BO hen that is about 6 months old in a mixed flock of 26 birds. Last night I noticed her chest seemed very large but thought that maybe she had stuffed herself getting ready for the cold night ahead. DH let them out this morning but did not check her. Just went out to check the water and break ice and noticed her shaking her head and throwing up some. I caught her and her chest/crop is squissy and soft and very large. I did massage her alittle and she she did throw up a very small amount. I have put her in a rabbit hutch with no food or water. Could not tell you about the poop since so many of them, but have not noticed anything different in any poop. What do I need to do from here? They have free choice Layena crumbles, grit, oyster shell and water at all times. No one else seems to have this problem. They are given BOSS about two handfuls everyother day and about a handfull of scratch twice a day.

Does her breath smell bad or sour? If so, it is probably sour crop. I would not withhold water, you don't want dehydration to set in.

For crop problems, I'd separate her, give her water with a small amount of apple cider vinegar in it. Let her eat, but only small amounts of food, and ONLY very soft , moist, mushy food - at this point, you don't want her crop to have to process her food. I'd also give her a teaspoon of olive oil and massage her crop downwards.

All the above is advice from posts I've read here. I've never had impacted or sour crop in my birds. However, it is a common topic here on BYC. You can search for it.

ETA: put her (or her cage) in a warm & dry place, when you separate her. she'll need that to support her recovery. especially since she won't have the heat and warmth of the other birds. since it's the crop, I wouldn't put any shavings or straw for her bedding. you don't want her eating any of it. Instead, I'd just use lots of clean dry towels and T-shirts for her "bedding".

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am going to the store now to get the acv. Have not used it in a while so I'll start up again. Also, I have mixed some olive oil and whole grain what bread until mushy and alot of oil to give her. She's none to happy to be locked up at this point. I am hoping that I have caught this early enough with out having to do something major!

Quote:
Good luck to you & your hen!
fl.gif

Ok I have the acv and yogurt - plain organic - so how much of the avc to half a quart of water do I need and should I try the yogurt with a scrambled egg?

Well, I went out to give the water and all the bread & oil was gone so I got her out a massaged her crop and I could not believe how much came out of her...and the smell! OK now what?

Back
Top Bottom