Hen with swollen face- 3 month update, suggestions?

Updated pictures of Jezebel from today.

Note that she seems to be losing feathers (or gaining skin) at the top of her head, just above her comb.

Quick update on my labs:
Lydia had a host of problems. The lumps on her face and swollen ears are still under investigation. She also had pneumonia, a spleen enlarged to 3x normal size, and an ovary "replaced by" a fibrous mass. I'm guessing all of this is complications of Marek's.

I'll update when the final labs come in.

Quick update on my labs:
Lydia had a host of problems. The lumps on her face and swollen ears are still under investigation. She also had pneumonia, a spleen enlarged to 3x normal size, and an ovary "replaced by" a fibrous mass. I'm guessing all of this is complications of Marek's.

OMG, the poor baby! Did they ind it was definitely Marek's related?

Last edited:
Quick update on my labs:

Aww poor baby!

Try benadryl if that doesn't work. Its very possible it's infectious coryza
Thanks for checking in.
I actually did try benadryl with no results.
As far as coryza, there is no sinus involvement, no discharge. No symptoms other than the swelling.
I have someone who may be able to do a biopsy. Stay tuned.

Hello! I'm obviously new here, but I had a chicken with very similar symptoms to yours. Her face was so swollen the vet couldn't even find her eye. It as odd, we tried to lance it but nothing would come out. Anyway, after a loooong time trying various medications and therapies, we gave her oral flagyl (the vet mixed it up for us). Within a week we saw her eye again and within 2 weeks she was back to normal. She was so bad off then, and now you would never guess if you saw her. Beautiful, vibrant and healthy. Just my 2cents! Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Thanks for checking in.

I actually did try benadryl with no results.
As far as coryza, there is no sinus involvement, no discharge. No symptoms other than the swelling.
I have someone who may be able to do a biopsy. Stay tuned.

The benadryl take quite a bit of time un like other meds. However good luck

Back
Top Bottom