Hen with Swollen Hocks

Lemming

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2018
Liverpool
691DC2F3-85E4-4408-9726-3E7045424650.jpeg ACAB929D-2857-4486-B829-8962A186D27B.jpeg 1F950DB5-9D7A-4AD7-A576-F76AD72A4A59.jpeg

Can anyone help?

One of my girls has really swollen hocks (I think is the right term?). She’s had a bit of a limp, I initially thought it was calcium, then I thought maybe leg mites. Started treating for mites & that’s when I noticed her poor hocks.

They aren’t especially hot & quite firm (not like liquid), but she is really struggling to walk, legs appear to turn in under her.
She is eating, drinking, pooping normally & has a good flap when I inspect her!

Is there anything I can do? I can’t get an exotic vet appt till next week & they are so expensive I’m worried I’m missing something obvious I could treat or that I won’t be able to afford the treatment on top of the consultation (I’ve recently had to reduce my work hours due to ill health, I’m not just an irresponsible owner)

I’ve seen about splints & slings etc, but I don’t know where to start. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Also does that look like scaly leg? I soaked & sudocremed them all yesterday & that seems to have helped a bit. That’s when I noticed the hocks, I’ve been focussing on her feet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom