Hen with swollen legs after death of another in flock

Where did the speckled sussex come from? Is it possible they could have picked up the infection from a previous home or breeder, and it is just now showing up? Most of mycoplasma infections (as well as other infectious diseases) come from a carrier bird, and the chicken can have the disease in a latent form. When stress occurs, say during a molt or cold winter weather, some may start showing symptoms.
Sorry I missed your post. She has been here since day 1 (literally). It's not been too cold yet and they are done with molt, but there could be other stresses.
Another similar thread for you... I have looked and looked, and could not find pictures exactly like your poor chickens anywhere, but the pics on the linked thread are definitely the closest I have seen. Best of luck!https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mycoplasma-synoviae-treatment.1082260/
Wow thank you so much for searching for me! Oddly everything I find that is similar is a Speckled Sussux (this is the 4th one I believe, with another in that thread making 5)
I have written to a Sussex breeder in hopes that he has ideas about common ailments.

Thanks again
Another similar thread for you... I have looked and looked, and could not find pictures exactly like your poor chickens anywhere, but the pics on the linked thread are definitely the closest I have seen. Best of luck!https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mycoplasma-synoviae-treatment.1082260/

The diagnosis is bad news for my two hens, although I am not going to believe any of this until it's evident. The diagnosis from 2 leading chicken vets that were consulted by my vet is "osteopetrosis tumor"/"avian leukosis" . It is a retrovirus from early life, that once active attacks the long bones of the legs and wings. The vets think it will go to the organs, either quickly or slowly, and then euthanasia will be the right thing to do. It is not contagious. Obviously the antibiotic won't help a virus and there aren't any antivirals for chickens.

All that said, it seems almost astronomical that 2 hens would break out within one day of each other (if they have been carrying this for their whole lives), and just a few days after Lizzie passed away. I've had zero illnesses here for 6.5 years and then egg yolk peritonitis in the summer, the death of Lizzie from egg yolk coelomitis last week and now 2 viruses (all within 6 months). I'm going to continue the meds and hope this diagnosis isn't correct, or if it is, that they get a few happy years. (that might be hard to do in 5 degree weather, but they are currently enjoying being in our bathroom)

I did ask about MS and because they show no signs of pain or other MS symptoms that was ruled out. I also mentioned to our vet that all the cases I found online that looked similar affected Speckled Sussex chickens. My vet said she would ask the poultry experts if they've noticed this.
I will do more research of course.

I did find this that could explain why I'm seeing SS with this problem-Sussex are slow feathering birds. I understand none of this-just kind of pulling at straws.
Other factors known to increase the susceptibility of chickens to horizontal infection (of avian leukosis) include the absence of maternal antibodies and the presence of endogenous retroviruses, especially those associated with the late feathering (K) gene.

Thank you for sharing all of this information and to all those that have been contributing.

I may have missed it in a previous post. Where did you order your chicks from? The speckled Sussex post really caught my attention. We're in the process of elimination for ours.

Are the two chickens with the swelling feet problem related? If so, I was thinking the vet might be right in that it is some sort of cancer...... in which case I wouldn't advise to breed their lineage because of the possibility of it's offspring inheriting it.

Are the two chickens with the swelling feet problem related? If so, I was thinking the vet might be right in that it is some sort of cancer...... in which case I wouldn't advise to breed their lineage because of the possibility of it's offspring inheriting it.
Thanks I got them from a hatchery, so I don't know if they're related- and got rid of the rooster that was supposed to be a hen-I'm not breeding at all. I don't want more roosters!

Back
Top Bottom