hen with swollen neck

wildchickens

Hatching
10 Years
May 14, 2009
I don't raise chickens but 4 wild chickens have lived in my yard/trees for years (in Florida). There are 3 roosters and one small white hen and they are all 10-12 years old . The hen has recently developed a very swollen neck on one side and seems to jut her breast out such that her head is cocked to the side. She is able to eat and drink and acts normal other than shaking her head some and looking somewhat lopsided. Could it be a tumor? Thanks!

could be she injured herself..
I'm sure the 3 roos harass her, so she might have been injured by them or jumped and hurt herself..

does the neck look bent? like an S shaped?

do you feed them? will they come to you?

It might be her crop. One of my roosters goes through phases where his is as big as a water balloon and feels like one... I beleive it is the part of them that helps with food digestion. If you can touch her see if it hurts maybe???? I am new to chickens so I am not sure if it could also be a disease but deff check the search engine on here, there are so many great people with so many great answers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=180114

Last edited:
thanks so much for the help! I talked with a vet today about it and she indicated it sounds like crop. She tested a stool sample for worms (positive) and is going to treat the worms first. The hen looks a little bit better. The boys do give her a hard time but less so now that they are older. One roo seems to be sort of her mate and he seems to be looking out for her (not always that way, tho). I have never handled her and hate to have to catch her (but will if I have to) because I know it will stress her out. It's sad how little I know about chickens considering they have been sharing my yard for years...
thanks again!
WC

sorry...guess I didn't read your post carefully enough..

can you confine her?
best way to check the crop is in the morning before she eats..
it should fell empty..
feel for any lumps or grainy feeling.
if she'll let you..using a small flashlight..try and look her in throat and mouth for any whitish or yellowy sores or plaque..(canker)
or red gape worm in the throat.
also check for sour odor.

I have never contained her or even touched her for that matter. She will come near me when I feed them but won't get too close. I am afraid I am going to have to try, though, in order to figure out what is up. Probably if I do, I will take her to the vet who has real chicken expertese. I just hate to stress the hen out with all of this.
Thanks for the descriptions...I have learned so much about this in the last 48 hours from everyone!!

Thats great that you care so much!!!! I have an avian vet at my dogs vet and they are very helpful. Catching her might be tricky but it you have like a broom or something to kinda corral or get a friend to help (if you for certain need to catch her) that sometimes help.

Yes, I was wondering how I might catch her and probably cornering her with the help of another might work. I took one of the roosters to the vet a few months ago after a dog got ahold of him and he was either stunned or playing dead but the dog dropped him and we were able to pick him up and put him in a cat carrier. He would up only having very superfical marks and is fine. Someone brought them into the neighborhood years ago and then let them roam. They clearly know a sucker b/c I have been feeding and watering them and I worry myself sick about them when the weather is bad, etc. A few neighbors really like them but I think most are indifferent or think they are a nuisance....which they can be at 5 am...
smile.png

Thanks again-

have you ever thought of putting up a coop or shed with a smallish pen?
if they were kept penned with a coop for roosting...after a few weeks they would be used to it (hopefully) and then, if you let them out to free range, they would return on their own at night, or possibly hang around the coop/pen where they know there is food and shelter.

Back
Top Bottom