hen with swollen rear

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
I have a spangled hamburg hen, I do not know how old she is since I got her at auction, I got the trio in January. I noticed the swelling then, it was smaller (this was of course after they where purchased) I had them in quarentene and just before I put them with other chickens, the younger hen died! she had what looked like fowl pox, a couple of spots on her comb and near her vent, it was sudden. I came close to just culling the other two, but a friend suggested to wait it out and they could recover. The rooster is still showing no signs of disease. So I have been keeping them separate from the flock, after also dealing with a case of mites like I have never seen! Now the hens rear end (abdomen and under vent area) is so swollen like a balloon, when she poops it is not falling on the ground rather it is falling on her and get caked up and I have to keep cleaning it. She is a bit lethargic and her eyes are kind of sticky looking and she squints a lot. I just don't know what to do at this point! cull them both?? I do not want whatever this is to affect the rest of my flock and really don't want to invest more in them than I already have and take them to the vet. Does anyone have any clue what this could be? I am worried she is suffering.

Personally I would not risk my existing flock. It sounds like she either is eggbound or laying internally but I can't say for sure. Good luck, sorry you have to deal with this.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom