Hen With Swollen Wattles?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gamebirdboy, Dec 5, 2011.

1. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I have this Buff Orp hen that has really swollen wattles. I just noticed it yesterday when I was putting her up for the night. They are very wide and tinted blue. The picture doesn't really show how blue it is, but you can tell it is swollen. There has been no changes in feed, ext. But I have started putting her in the garage on some colder nights. Is this a problem? If it helps I think she is starting to molt because she has lost feathers and hasn't laid as much. Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I hope its nothing serious, but I'm definitely not good at diagnosing illnesses.

3. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    My BO's turn a little I guess pearly right before she lays, but they don't swell like that. Good luck!

4. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    She eats and drinks fine. I hope it's nothing bad. I think I'll ask the vet tomorrow since my rabbit has to go in because of an eye infection.

5. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I pricked the most swollen part and a drop of really dark red blood came out. Does that mean anything?

6. claytonhain

claytonhain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    that probably means its warm. my lehorns wattle is just like that picture, i dont know whats wrong with it. i put aloe and vaseline on it. i'll see how that works, what did your vet say?

7. Sylvestor12

Sylvestor12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Vaseline, if put on too thick will turn the skin red. I thought it might help because our hen had a bareback in winter so I put some on and the next day her skin looked burned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by