Hen with vent problem

Hard to read for sure, but thank you! I will do my best for her poor sore behind. I changed my mom's diapers when she was dying at age 96, so I can manage a chickens butt problems. Thank you for the link.
I ordered the medication to spray on her butt and also an ointment to prohibit dirt from adhering and is said to keep other chickens from pecking at the area

Keep an eye on her, hopefully it's just a glitch and her system will work it out.
Honey is a good thing to use for prolapse if you have that on hand. It's mildly antibacterial, will keep it moist and will also help the swelling go down. That is usually what I use on prolapses (I keep Manuka honey on hand for first aid). Do you have oystershell available in a feeder for them all the time?
If she continues to have a problem with soft shelled eggs or thin shelled eggs then you might give her a calcium citrate +D tablet once a day for a couple of days, if she's low in calcium that might help. Some birds are prone to prolapse, some may do it once and never again.
Last caution, limit the scratch you give. They love it, will fill up on it, and in some cases it can result in dietary imbalance or deficiencies, or make them fat, all of which can cause problems. We call it 'chicken crack' at my house, they only get it very occasionally. My birds regular 'treat' is their crumbles mixed with water to make a mash every morning. They like it that way and it's 'different' from what's in their feeders, so they are happy. I use shallow puppy pans or hog pans to feed it.
I worm my birds every 3 months (26 of them currently-my environment is worm loaded) and it's not all that bad! You get better with practice. May or may not be an issue, every environment is different.

Keep an eye on her, hopefully it's just a glitch and her system will work it out.
Honey is a good thing to use for prolapse if you have that on hand. It's mildly antibacterial, will keep it moist and will also help the swelling go down. That is usually what I use on prolapses (I keep Manuka honey on hand for first aid). Do you have oystershell available in a feeder for them all the time?
If she continues to have a problem with soft shelled eggs or thin shelled eggs then you might give her a calcium citrate +D tablet once a day for a couple of days, if she's low in calcium that might help. Some birds are prone to prolapse, some may do it once and never again.
Last caution, limit the scratch you give. They love it, will fill up on it, and in some cases it can result in dietary imbalance or deficiencies, or make them fat, all of which can cause problems. We call it 'chicken crack' at my house, they only get it very occasionally. My birds regular 'treat' is their crumbles mixed with water to make a mash every morning. They like it that way and it's 'different' from what's in their feeders, so they are happy. I use shallow puppy pans or hog pans to feed it.
I worm my birds every 3 months (26 of them currently-my environment is worm loaded) and it's not all that bad! You get better with practice. May or may not be an issue, every environment is different.
I have heard scratch as "chicken ice cream" so I understand and maybe I am guilty of making them happy but unhealthy in the process. They love warm oatmeal too so I can see them loving their food with water mixed in, Cutting down on the never ending ordering of scratch then. I just got in a 50 lb bag so it will last for a very long time. I do have honey so I will smear some on her butt. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom