Hen with vent problem

winchuck

Chirping
May 11, 2013
Near Brookings, Oregon
I recently went out to clip the wings of my chickens finding one hen who had a poopy butt. I read about giving her a spa treatment with warm water with epsom salts so I proceeded with that task to find the glob on her butt was an egg. Her vent was incredibly swollen and red. I applied fungal medication as I had read to do. Today, I found her butt pretty disgusting so I gave her another warm bath. In the process of blowing her dry with a hair dryer I could see her breast bone sticking out. I have now read about Merek's but also that it might not be that and maybe just a problem with lack of weight??? She is eating and drinking. I also gave her 2 tsp of olive oil yesterday to get her "flowing" again. I have her in my office in a crate. I also have another hen in the office and now worried that they shouldn't be in the same room. The other hen flew the coop so to speak with one of my dogs catching mid flight. She is healing up fine. Am I doomed to have a hen hospital in my office now? Anyway worried about Henrietta and her globby butt and protruding breast bone. I made sure to puree some greens with egg shells which she seems to love. More advice would sure be welcomed. I am no chicken whisperer for sure!

Pictures for sure.
Why do you think Marek's?
Just by description it sounds like she may have prolapsed, cause could be broken or misshaped egg.
Loss of weight could indicated reproductive problems, but could be other things also, including internal parasites.
Do you know when she last laid normally?

A whole shelled egg stuck to her butt with poop?
Pics would have been good....
...still would be. Yes, a pretty disgusting rotten egg, but an egg. Hard to take pictures holding a chicken into water trying to loosen up a glob attached to her poor butt. Maybe next time, but don't expect a picture soon!

Pictures for sure.
Why do you think Marek's?
Just by description it sounds like she may have prolapsed, cause could be broken or misshaped egg.
Loss of weight could indicated reproductive problems, but could be other things also, including internal parasites.
Do you know when she last laid normally?
She is young and I can't tell you that she has laid successfully yet or not. My younger hens have just started production. I need to move into the coop with them to keep a better eye on them. (not going to do that!). I read that the bone sticking out could be Mereks but hoping I am wrong since it is contagious.

Egg with shell and yolk and all? Or was it a lash egg?
Pictures of some here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
How old is she? If she's just started to lay then it could just be a glitch, a soft shelled or malformed egg can be difficult to pass and can sometimes cause a prolapse.
If you have never had a fecal done or wormed your birds then I would suggest that, to rule parasites out as a possible reason for low weight. I would also start weighing her regularly, to see if she gains, loses or maintains. Some birds are just leaner than others depending on breed. Also look at your number of birds and feeders. If she's low in the pecking order then maybe she's being kept from feeders and is not getting as much opportunity to feed. Adding a feeder or two might help.
Just throwing things out there for consideration.

I will keep her separated from the flock until I can see she is gaining weight and her butt remains less than disgusting. When the weather breaks, I will put her outside for the day or in the green house where she will be protected. I'd like to allow the injured hen to hang out with her. The injured one is not putting any weight on her one foot. It has been at least two weeks since she was injured. I figure she can learn to hop if the leg doesn't respond well if I protect her and give her a pampered life. I put a splint on the leg and kept her wings to her side. The wing recovered well but so much luck with the leg. Either the small green house or the huge hoop house might must become a rehabilitation center. LOL Do you think a sling to hold her upright would be beneficial.? She is in rather a small cage that doesn't allow her to move very much.

Egg with shell and yolk and all? Or was it a lash egg?
Pictures of some here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
How old is she? If she's just started to lay then it could just be a glitch, a soft shelled or malformed egg can be difficult to pass and can sometimes cause a prolapse.
If you have never had a fecal done or wormed your birds then I would suggest that, to rule parasites out as a possible reason for low weight. I would also start weighing her regularly, to see if she gains, loses or maintains. Some birds are just leaner than others depending on breed. Also look at your number of birds and feeders. If she's low in the pecking order then maybe she's being kept from feeders and is not getting as much opportunity to feed. Adding a feeder or two might help.
Just throwing things out there for consideration.
thank you for all that to think about! I have 4 feeders in the lower coop 3 trays and 1 hanging large feeder for 20 birds. I also have a feeder in the top section of the coop but it is seldom used. I give them food and scratch every morning in approximately 4 large scoopsk out in their run of approximately 50 x 25 feet.. I have not wormed them. OMG that should be fun!..I have postal scales which weigh light weight things so I can do that weighing. She is young so likely a soft shelled or misformed egg. I find the hens love laying their eggs in a covered cat litter box filled with straw although they have nesting boxes so I have two of them. One in the top and one in the bottom. I got 15 eggs the other day and 12 again yesterday. Most days result in 9 eggs. I expect more when it gets warmer I have about 4 older hens with 12 or so younger ones. Winters are mild where I live and we can expect daffodils in February if that means anything to you in terms of our climate here. Today is stormy at 46 degrees. This is my first time having more than 9 chickens. I expected more poop but I guess I should also expect more problems.

Hard to read for sure, but thank you! I will do my best for her poor sore behind. I changed my mom's diapers when she was dying at age 96, so I can manage a chickens butt problems. Thank you for the link.

Back
Top Bottom