Hen won’t leave roost/leave coop

Agree with @rosemarythyme about adding a lower option. Consider placing the lower bar on the farthest 1/3 of the bar opposite from where the top ranked hens typically roost to discourage pecking from above.

But, my personal experience with adding levels to a one level roost resulted in everyone crowding on said roost because it was a shiny new toy, and new pullets ended up in the former choice location. :confused::he
Second roost same height may work better... I don't think there's a fixed rule, some flocks do fine with laddered roosts, some don't (I do have laddered roosts). But having more than one roost overall gives birds who are bullied or afraid another option, at least.

Has she ever broke a bone or hurt herself jumping down from he roost. Sometimes that can keep them from roosting. They are afraid that they are going to get hurt again.
This is what I was thinking. There is no bedding on the floor of the coop so getting down could be painful. I recommend padding the floor with something like straw.

This is what I was thinking. There is no bedding on the floor of the coop so getting down could be painful. I recommend padding the floor with something like straw.
I have pine shavings but the guy who built this thing used slats leaving openings that the saw dust just goes through. I will be scraping the floor down and putting down cardboard and shavings soon.

Second roost same height may work better... I don't think there's a fixed rule, some flocks do fine with laddered roosts, some don't (I do have laddered roosts). But having more than one roost overall gives birds who are bullied or afraid another option, at least.
Good suggestion, I will add two new bars so there is new shiny to go around.

This reminds me off my hen Janice, she was bullied at roosting time when she was a pullet.

I have a combi setup with a small coop with nestboxes a little run in the middle and an extension on the right side. The chickens roost in the extension. But at one point they didn’t allow Janice to join.

Janice started to roost in the small coop and then two bullies started to chase her there too. Next step, Janice started to sleep in the nestbox. I didn’t want her to do so. So I tried everything to discourage her. Blocking the nestbox. Putting Janice on a roost….
But I think she got traumatised by it and started to hate me for it. People here adviced me to give her time. Just clean the nestbox where she sleeps. The other nestbox could be used for the eggs layers.

It took a long time but finally she started to roost again. With one other chicken in the small coop.
In all the years I have her she has periods where she chooses another sleeping space. Or even in a tree when she has the chance.
But now she sleeps alone in the small coop while the others prefer the extension.

I really cant give advice on the experience with one chicken. But I hope this experience helps you, to make a better choice, than I did.

I have pine shavings but the guy who built this thing used slats leaving openings that the saw dust just goes through. I will be scraping the floor down and putting down cardboard and shavings soon.
Your coop is so beautiful! Love to have one like it! (mines made out of scrap lumber and pallets) Adding 1/2" hardware cloth over all the openings instead of chicken wire would make it predator proof .Then if anything tries to reach inside with their paws and grab your chickens they'll be safe.

This reminds me off my hen Janice, she was bullied at roosting time when she was a pullet.

I have a combi setup with a small coop with nestboxes a little run in the middle and an extension on the right side. The chickens roost in the extension. But at one point they didn’t allow Janice to join.

Janice started to roost in the small coop and then two bullies started to chase her there too. Next step, Janice started to sleep in the nestbox. I didn’t want her to do so. So I tried everything to discourage her. Blocking the nestbox. Putting Janice on a roost….
But I think she got traumatised by it and started to hate me for it. People here adviced me to give her time. Just clean the nestbox where she sleeps. The other nestbox could be used for the eggs layers.

It took a long time but finally she started to roost again. With one other chicken in the small coop.
In all the years I have her she has periods where she chooses another sleeping space. Or even in a tree when she has the chance.
But now she sleeps alone in the small coop while the others prefer the extension.

I really cant give advice on the experience with one chicken. But I hope this experience helps you, to make a better choice, than I did.
I wouldn’t mind sleeping in the nest box, but as you know, the first thing they do is poop. Then I get dirty eggs. So that’s the issue I have with that.

Back
Top Bottom