Hen won’t leave roost/leave coop

onslaught

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2013
I have recently added two hens to my flock.
They seem to have integrated well for the 3-4 weeks.
A couple of days ago I found one of the new hens sleeping in the nesting box.
I chased her out and blocked it for the night, she just slept on the floor.
This morning I see her pacing on the roosting bar and seems reluctant to come out.
Looks like she’s being ostracized, but I have not observed any overt bullying.
Any ideas?

I have recently added two hens to my flock.
They seem to have integrated well for the 3-4 weeks.
A couple of days ago I found one of the new hens sleeping in the nesting box.
I chased her out and blocked it for the night, she just slept on the floor.
This morning I see her pacing on the roosting bar and seems reluctant to come out.
Looks like she’s being ostracized, but I have not observed any overt bullying.
Any ideas?
I only have 5 total so there is plenty of roosting space

Soon as my pullets were released my older hens started chasing them then the cockerels started chasing them.Now my hens won't come off the roost except to eat,drink or lay so I'm moving them from the main coop into the divided section of the main run .Chickens can be very territorial

I only have 5 total so there is plenty of roosting space
It seems hunger has forced her out and nobody is chasing her off, but still concerns me.
Photos of your roost bar set up, and relevant measurements (length of bar(s)). distance between bars, if more than one)?
1701543551874.jpeg

Two will roost on each end leaving about 18” in the middle, so I don’t think they are crowded

View attachment 3696365
Two will roost on each end leaving about 18” in the middle, so I don’t think they are crowded
Any way to do 2 shorter bars or to add another bar at least 14-16" away from the first? During roost time rumbles the other birds might be harassing her off the roost, so if there's a second option she may use that instead.

Agree with @rosemarythyme about adding a lower option. Consider placing the lower bar on the farthest 1/3 of the bar opposite from where the top ranked hens typically roost to discourage pecking from above.

But, my personal experience with adding levels to a one level roost resulted in everyone crowding on said roost because it was a shiny new toy, and new pullets ended up in the former choice location. :confused::he

Back
Top Bottom