Orpingtons won’t sleep in coop

Estrella

Chirping
Sep 13, 2023
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi, I know there are a few threads here already discussing this subject, but they all seem to be about young chickens.

Let me introduce my flock as this could be part of the problem; I have six Swedish Flower Hens, 1 dominant rooster + 3 hens (1 1/2 yr old) and two hens that are only 5 months old. They tend to stick toghether. I also have three 6 mo old English Buffs, 1 rooster and 2 ladies, and they are mostly their own little flock. Our coop and run are custom built and predator proof with hardware cloth dug deep in the ground, hardware cloth + a tin roof and 2 x automatic doors; one on the run and one on the coop. They all free range during the day. In winter we cover the sides of the entire run with transparent water proof tarp.

My problem is that my Buffs just won’t go in the coop, ever. There’s plenty of roosting space in there for them, but they only roost in the run, as high up as they can get, about 4 feet from the ground. They have several heights to choose from but this is what they prefer. Which is fine, for now, but as I live in Sweden, where we (usually) get long and cold winters, this could be a problem, as the coop is much warmer. Not so much for their bodies as they are huge and very fluffy, but I worry for their combs.

I have recently re-homed seven Buff Orpington roos, and before I sold them, they all slept together with their ”siblings” in our run. Now they all sleep in their new coops with their new flock, top roost.

My question to all you experienced chicken owners out there is; have anyone had the same problem? Will they go in the coop once it’s really cold? Or it it a rooster problem? Will my Buff rooster (Spencer) simply not go in there as it’s concidered my Swedish Flower Hen roosters (Abdullah) territory?

Another problem may also be when my Buff ladies (Flo and Poppy) start laying, which would be any day now - as the nest boxes are in the coop...

Any wise thought are greatly appreciated!

Do you have separate areas for the two breeds to sleep in?

English Orpingtons should have low roost bars to keep them from getting hurt jumping off there roost. And this is because of there weight.

Swedish flower hen roosters are aggressive to other chickens that don't look like them. They are human friendly but not friendly towards each other or other birds that don't resemble them.

Also I use a portable light that I stick inside the coop to help new birds see where the roost bars are at night. They become reluctant to go inside the coop but when it gets really dark they follow the light inside the coop. Just takes time and repeated efforts to get them use to it.

Hi, thank you for your reply. My Oringtons have several different levels of roosing bars to choose from, but they always choose the highest one so I have a ”ladder” for them to get up there, as I am very aware of their weight. However, removing the ladder makes no difference. They also fly high up in trees in my garden. My flower hen rooster is not agressive, he is a total sweetheart and the two roosters never fight, but it may well be more of a psych behaviour that we as humans can’t see.

I have one hen that sleeps outside in a secure pen. It has a roof, and the sides are plywood about half height, except for the door section which is not covered. She and her brothers flew up to the top of the coop's man door to roost when they were young. The cockerels had to go leaving little Gracie sleeping outside alone, like a sentry. When it's cold, or windy & rainy she goes inside usually after the hens have settled their roost wars and she finds an unoccupied perch to roost on. In the winter, the door is closed so she has to go in to the coop. I have considered finishing off this section so it is fully sheltered on the sides and let her stay out all winter, but being solo I'd be concerned about her maintaining her body heat. The others huddle together on 1 roost bar in the winter.

Hi 16 and me, that’s almost hearbreaking! But happy to hear Gracie goes in when the elements are too harsh. And gives me hope! Our flock, or both of them I should say, are early birds and they go in the run and coop long before sun sets.

I really appreciate all of your answers! Love this forum.

Hi 16 and me, that’s almost hearbreaking! But happy to hear Gracie goes in when the elements are too harsh. And gives me hope! Our flock, or both of them I should say, are early birds and they go in the run and coop long before sun sets.

I really appreciate all of your answers! Love this forum.
Yes it is a little heartbreaking. There are new chicks this year, I am hoping she'll settle in with them once they leave mama and start roosting. Every night though, when I finish securing the pen, I look up and say "say goodnight Gracie" 😂

Thats so cute, and I love the name. Or maybe she’s just a loner, and likes sleeping on her own. I have a very strange bird, Åsa, flower hen (Swedish name), she sleeps in the coop with the others but as far away from everyone else as possible. Here are some photos of our setup, and yes, I know there should be no hay in a run but it’s from our own meadows and I clean it out and change it weekly.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Hi, I know there are a few threads here already discussing this subject, but they all seem to be about young chickens.

Let me introduce my flock as this could be part of the problem; I have six Swedish Flower Hens, 1 dominant rooster + 3 hens (1 1/2 yr old) and two hens that are only 5 months old. They tend to stick toghether. I also have three 6 mo old English Buffs, 1 rooster and 2 ladies, and they are mostly their own little flock. Our coop and run are custom built and predator proof with hardware cloth dug deep in the ground, hardware cloth + a tin roof and 2 x automatic doors; one on the run and one on the coop. They all free range during the day. In winter we cover the sides of the entire run with transparent water proof tarp.

My problem is that my Buffs just won’t go in the coop, ever. There’s plenty of roosting space in there for them, but they only roost in the run, as high up as they can get, about 4 feet from the ground. They have several heights to choose from but this is what they prefer. Which is fine, for now, but as I live in Sweden, where we (usually) get long and cold winters, this could be a problem, as the coop is much warmer. Not so much for their bodies as they are huge and very fluffy, but I worry for their combs.

I have recently re-homed seven Buff Orpington roos, and before I sold them, they all slept together with their ”siblings” in our run. Now they all sleep in their new coops with their new flock, top roost.

My question to all you experienced chicken owners out there is; have anyone had the same problem? Will they go in the coop once it’s really cold? Or it it a rooster problem? Will my Buff rooster (Spencer) simply not go in there as it’s concidered my Swedish Flower Hen roosters (Abdullah) territory?

Another problem may also be when my Buff ladies (Flo and Poppy) start laying, which would be any day now - as the nest boxes are in the coop...

Any wise thought are greatly appreciated!
The way they act, I'd have thought they were a few months younger and smaller, and just scared of the older/bigger birds as that's typical behavior for that. They'd just be staying away from the ones that peck on them. No chance any other birds are picking on them?

Back
Top Bottom