Hen wont come out of the coop

Newfarmer36

Songster
Dec 31, 2017
West Monroe, Louisiana
I bought 4 hens a couple of weeks ago. All of them but 1 have settled in great. The other one is staying in the coop. I'll get her out of there but within a few mins, she's back in. What do I do? I can't close the coop bc I have hens that lay in there. Should I sell her? Trade her for another one? Just leave her be? I don't want her to be stuck in the coop for the rest of her life. :(

Is she going back to the same spot every time? And does she squawk and get angry when you move her or come near her? And does she "hoard" eggs? If so, your hen may just be broody, which means she wants to hatch babies. A good way to check this is to out a golfball next to her and see if she moves and tucks it under her.

Is she going back to the same spot every time? And does she squawk and get angry when you move her or come near her? And does she "hoard" eggs? If so, your hen may just be broody, which means she wants to hatch babies. A good way to check this is to out a golfball next to her and see if she moves and tucks it under her.
Yes, she goes right back to her perch, yes, she gets mad and no, I don't leave eggs in there. I collect them everyday. Do I need to leave some in there? Is there a way to see if she's broody? Feel the temp on her stomach?

Does she stay on a perch? Or is she on a spot on the floor or in a nest box? If she is plucking out her chest feathers, that can be an indicator of broodiness.

Does she stay on a perch? Or is she on a spot on the floor or in a nest box? If she is plucking out her chest feathers, that can be an indicator of broodiness.

Attachments

• 20180315_111153.jpg
    20180315_111153.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 11
Do they have a run, or are they free ranged? My guess is that she's at the bottom of the pecking order, maybe getting bullied. If they're in a run, how big is it in feet by feet? Same question for the coop. Can you put up some hiding places for her? A pallet or piece of plywood leaned against the fence would help. Just make sure it's open on both ends so she can't get trapped. More than one feeder and waterer would help, too. Is she the same age as the other chickens? Another thought is maybe she's not feeling well. Check for mites and lice. How do her eyes look? Nice and bright, or dull? Have you observed her eating and drinking? Or... she could just not be acclimated to her new surroundings yet. They're all different, and react differently to new situations.

Back
Top Bottom