Hen Won't Eat! D:

Coins

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
Hi! I'm new, and I have a problem. :(
My parents and I have a really tiny backyard flock consisting of a rooster and four hens. Since Saturday, I've noticed one of the hens laying down a lot while the others are free ranging around her. On Monday, she didn't come out of the coop with the rest of the chickens. I thought she might me egg bound, so I took her inside, gave her some tums, and soaked her in warm water. But nothing's changed.

I don't think she's egg bound now, because she's pooping. Her poop is a little runny, but otherwise seems fine. I went to check if there was an egg inside of her today, but there was only a weird lump inside. You can feel the lump from the outside too. I just can't figure out what's wrong with her.

Here are some things you might need to know about the hen.

-She's about a year old
-She's some sort of Red Sex Link. Looks most like a Cinnamon Queen
-She has never laid an egg
-Her comb is bright red
-She doesn't look like she's trying to push out an egg
-Her vent is not swollen
-She doesn't want to walk
-She's not acting broody
-We took her and another hen that looks like her from someone who didn't want them anymore
-The other hen has been laying with no problem since we got her

Can any of you help? She's my favorite chicken and I would really like to know what I can do to help her. (If I can help her.)
hmm.png

P.S. I'm not too familiar with chicken-related abbreviations, conditions/illnesses, or anatomy. So in other words, I'm a total newbie to the more technical stuff.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. It's possible that she has a tumor or maybe a shell-less egg in there. Was the lump you felt hard or soft, smooth or irregular-shaped? How does her crop feel? I'm not sure if there was a gizzard impaction if you would feel that when squeezing her abdomen or not. With a gizzard impaction the crop can be empty, and they may not eat, and also may be very inactive. Wish I could be of more help.

How long have you had her? Coccidiosis could be a problem if she has recently come to you, or if a new bird has been added if she has been exposed to a new strain of cocci that she isn't immune to. Corid (amprollium) or Ampromed is the treatment for 5 days, and everyone should be treated if you think that is the problem. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of the powder (or 2 tsp of the liquid) to a gallon of water. Here is a link for parts of a hen and rooster: http://www.extension.org/pages/6535...mall-or-backyard-flocks:-chicken#.U0X82_ldVWM and here is a good picture of chicken anatomy:

chicken_anatomy.jpg

The lump felt firm and smooth. Her crop is soft and seems to have water in it.

We've had her since October or November, and none of the other chickens are having problems.

She's stopped eating chicken feed and is still sitting. Right now she refuses to eat anything besides breakfast cereal and water. Is that normal? Also, the lump has gone down a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom