Hen won't eat oyster shells - continues to have very thin egg shells

Hannychickenmama

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm concerned about one of my chickens and I'm not sure what to do to remedy this situation. She lays eggs with very thin shells. The eggs are also gigantic. It's almost as if there would be enough calcium to create a thicker shell, but because the egg is so big it's stretched thin. I provide ample added calcium in their diet by putting out oyster shells in a separate container. I was always told not to mix it in their food so they can control how much they eat. But she won't eat them! My other hens eat them up and have very thick shells.

The problem is that this hen will not eat the oyster shells, or the regular chicken egg shells I scatter. I've had multiple broken eggs because they are so thin.

Does anyone know what's best to do in a situation like this?

Thanks for all your help!

Do you have a rooster? Maybe try putting out some layer feed which has calcium in it?
I don't have a rooster. I have 4 hens. We had a hawk attack a while back, but everything seems to be back to normal. The hawk took the other hen that was the same age, so she is the only one that is 1.5 years. The other three are approaching 1 year.

Hi everyone,

I'm concerned about one of my chickens and I'm not sure what to do to remedy this situation. She lays eggs with very thin shells. The eggs are also gigantic. It's almost as if there would be enough calcium to create a thicker shell, but because the egg is so big it's stretched thin. I provide ample added calcium in their diet by putting out oyster shells in a separate container. I was always told not to mix it in their food so they can control how much they eat. But she won't eat them! My other hens eat them up and have very thick shells.

The problem is that this hen will not eat the oyster shells, or the regular chicken egg shells I scatter. I've had multiple broken eggs because they are so thin.

Does anyone know what's best to do in a situation like this?

Thanks for all your help!
Have your tried mixing baked and crushed egg shells into the oyster shells? I also recommend layer feed since you have an all hen flock. The extra calcium found in layer feed wouldn't affect any males, since you have none.

If you know exactly which bird is the problem bird, isolate her for a private breakfast. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results. If you still have the same issue, then you might need to try pills of calcium citrate instead for a faster, bigger calcium boost.

Y'all I'm getting nervous!

Beginning yesterday, she has been very lethargic, closing her eyes, and not being her normal social self. She isn't joining the flock and instead stays off to herself. She isn't grazing like she normally does. She is very puffy and fat, but her tail feathers look weak.

Is she egg bound? She laid an egg the day before she started acting weird.

Is she sick? I don't see any coughing or wheezing.

I'm a little nervous because I don't have the means to isolate. Is there anything to do for an egg bound hen?

Y'all I'm getting nervous!

Beginning yesterday, she has been very lethargic, closing her eyes, and not being her normal social self. She isn't joining the flock and instead stays off to herself. She isn't grazing like she normally does. She is very puffy and fat, but her tail feathers look weak.

Is she egg bound? She laid an egg the day before she started acting weird.

Is she sick? I don't see any coughing or wheezing.

I'm a little nervous because I don't have the means to isolate. Is there anything to do for an egg bound hen?
Post pictures. She may have a reproductive issue going on. I will first tag @Wyorp Rock in advance.

Post pictures. She may have a reproductive issue going on. I will first tag @Wyorp Rock in advance.
I’ll get some pictures if I can. As of now we think she has cocci. I put medicine in the water and I’m crossing my
Fingers that she drinks up! We thought it was cocci because fo the way her poop looks - very watery and white. Not bloody yet which Is good.

I’m not convinced she’s egg bound. She isn’t spending any time In the box and she’s still pooping. Last egg was within 24 hours of the bizarre behvior.

We will see how this medicine treats here

Back
Top Bottom