Hen won't eat, very thin, lethargic ... gurgling sound!

Now she has no balance... I'm holding her so she does not flop around.... giving her water droplets.... her head is thrown back.... one leg outstretched, one clenched tight....

Any chance she will make it ???

When you look into her mouth, you are looking for lesions and anything that would prevent her from taking food. White little raised bumps or a little white lesion that has grown into a large mass could be a reason why she is not eating or doesn't have the energy to move around. Feel her breasts, is there any meat left under her feathers, this can give you an indication of how much bird is left and how long she has been less than well.

I just sent a chicken to our USDA lab in Turlock, CA to run tests on her and hopefully shed some light as to why 5 birds have died since April and why the the other 5 birds I just culled had white cheesey looking lesions in their mouths and throat. This service is free to us in CA if we have less than 100 chickens. I should have used this service months ago and maybe just maybe I could have saved some of my hens.

I was asking where you bought the bird because there was a woman in Cotati that sold chickens that might be questionable about her quality of hens. It doesn't sound like you bought from her.

Do your birds share water available to wild birds?

Thanks everyone... Genevieve did die.... heartbreaking...

Thanks especially for the info on having the bird tested! I will ship her out in the morning, she is in the fridge.

So sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Was there any results? I had lost one with almost exact symtoms and left me puzzled. Just could not for the life of me diagnose or pin point what she had exactly and tried a bit of everything to help her.

When you look into her mouth, you are looking for lesions and anything that would prevent her from taking food. White little raised bumps or a little white lesion that has grown into a large mass could be a reason why she is not eating or doesn't have the energy to move around. Feel her breasts, is there any meat left under her feathers, this can give you an indication of how much bird is left and how long she has been less than well.

I just sent a chicken to our USDA lab in Turlock, CA to run tests on her and hopefully shed some light as to why 5 birds have died since April and why the the other 5 birds I just culled had white cheesey looking lesions in their mouths and throat. This service is free to us in CA if we have less than 100 chickens. I should have used this service months ago and maybe just maybe I could have saved some of my hens.

I was asking where you bought the bird because there was a woman in Cotati that sold chickens that might be questionable about her quality of hens. It doesn't sound like you bought from her.

Do your birds share water available to wild birds?

Hello! Did you you find out what was wrong with your chicken?
Trying to save second chicken... seems like she doesn't have control over her neck sometimes, white foamy poop with some green in it, won't eat drink on her own or walk .. the vet is my next step

Back
Top Bottom