hen wont go in house

clucking chicken

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
i recently bought 3 rhode island pullet hens. I put them in with my flock and they are getting on very great. after a week i let them out with my old to free range which i do witih my old hens. I went up to lock them up at around 9.30 pm. They all came back and were roosting apart from one. I was worried and thought a fox got it. I locked them up anyway and in the morning there she was outside the hutch picking about. I imeediatly put it in. It has being doing this for aroud 3 nights now. how can get her to go in at night because i dont know she goes.
idunno.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

Someone's probably picking on her, or she's the bottom of the pecking order and may be leery to go in. I always seem to have this issue when I introduce new ones to an existing flock. What I do is "teach" them that they get a treat in the coop at night. I have a small, stainless steel bowl and I put a small bit of either oats or barley in it, and shake it around so they hear the noise. Then, I put it down on the floor of the coop, and they all come running to go inside to eat the treat. AS they're eating, I lock down the coop. I do this each night, and eventually, it's just a habit that they go in at dark. Best of luck!

I shut the birds in the coop for a few days after they have been quarantine for a month. During quarantine I put the new birds in a nearby run so that they can see each other before I integrate them. When I have them shut up in the coop I take treats out in the evenings and give them the treats. After I let them out I continue the evening treats for awhile then cut back on the treats and take them out every other eve then skip a couple of days until no more treats and they go into the coop every night. My chicks are 5 weeks old and they now go into their coop at night and all I do is go out and shut their pop door.

Back
Top Bottom