hen won't lay eggs in coop!

MaratManor

Chirping
Mar 23, 2016
Brunswick, Georgia
This is probably a very dumb worry! My hen just recently began laying eggs a few days ago, but she only wants to lie them on my porch! Today I came out as they were locked up in coop, and saw Betty pacing the fence to be let out, so I only let her out and she ran RIGHT to the porch to lay...My question is, will she lay eggs if she can't get to her favorite spot during the day?

If her laying on the porch is OK with you, keep doing as you are. If you want her to lay in the coop, leave them all locked up in the coop/run for at least a week and try to mess up the area she is laying so it doesn’t look that much like a nest. You can break her habit of laying there but it can take some work.

A hen can hold an egg for some time, but she has to lay it. If you leave her locked in the coop/run she will eventually lay that egg. Maybe in a nest, maybe somewhere else, but she will lay it.

If her laying on the porch is OK with you, keep doing as you are. If you want her to lay in the coop, leave them all locked up in the coop/run for at least a week and try to mess up the area she is laying so it doesn’t look that much like a nest. You can break her habit of laying there but it can take some work.

A hen can hold an egg for some time, but she has to lay it. If you leave her locked in the coop/run she will eventually lay that egg. Maybe in a nest, maybe somewhere else, but she will lay it.

Thank you so much, she's out there now just pacing the fence! I'm leaving them locked up for today and I'll do away with her porch nest! I love her laying there on the porch but I can't always leave her out all day to do her business. Hopefully one day she will lay in the boxes I have for them!

Back
Top Bottom