Hen wont start to sit on eggs?

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
I have a GLW hen who has been laying for about 3 months, at first we took the eggs from her to eat as the first clutch usually isn't fertile and we didn't want her to waste her time going broody but after a while, we started letting her collect eggs to sit on and by the time she reached 17 eggs we decided to put them in the incubator instead and we let her start to collect them again, and the eggs in the incubator were fertile with about 70% fertility rate. Now 3 weeks later when she has about 20 eggs she still has not started sitting, is there any reason for this and what can i do to encourage her to sit?

Broodiness can't be forced, but can be encouraged. Rather than letting actual eggs pile up, try using fake eggs or golf balls. Leave them in the nests to encourage setting. Your pullet is still quite young though. New to the whole laying thing. Some will set that young, but most of my serious mothers are closer to a year or older. Wyandottes in general do make excellent mothers as well!

It all depends on the hormonal changes within her, if your hen is still young most likely she won't go broody but its good to give it a try with golf ball or fake eggs like he has said...And also a little more patience. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom