1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen wound picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmdix22, Feb 5, 2016.

1. jmdix22

jmdix22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

2. Gossie

Gossie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    Is that a picture of her side? Do you have any roosters? This happened to 4 of my hens last summer because we had too many roosters. I would suggest a hen saddle.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you know what attacked your hen? I would make sure the wound was well cleaned and irrigated with either saline, peroxide (only once,) 10% betadine, or chlorhexidene. Then you can use Vetericyn, or antiobiotic (plain neosporin, etc) ointment on it until it heals. Look for any signs of infection (pus, bad odor, redness and swelling) and keep flies away from her. It should start to heal and fill in with healthy tissue within a couple of weeks. Make sure that she is getting 16-20% protein in her feed, and you can supplement with some egg or canned tuna. Give us an update on her in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by